HTC: No Gingerbread Update for Desire Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Makes no sense, the Wildfire S has less memory and yet it has Gingerbread? Guess i'll have to root after all.

THe htc desire has 256 ROM, that's the problem they are claiming since they cannot fit Binge+sense into it.
Anyone with some brains would just change the damn thing to use a portion of the SD card -.-

Meh, off to get cyanogenmod for mine me thinks.

G

I have been running 2.3 for ages, Try the MIUI rom fantastic. To the poster who says noboddy likes them I would say we have three in the office and we all think they are great.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Wasn't Goolge talking at Goggle IO that Android makers would be required to make updates available for 18 months (or something to that effect). How old is this phone? I thought it would be under 18 months meaning it's a requirement HTC make the latest version of Android available.

garlik_bread

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]plasmastorm[/nom]THe htc desire has 256 ROM, that's the problem they are claiming since they cannot fit Binge+sense into it. Anyone with some brains would just change the damn thing to use a portion of the SD card -.-Meh, off to get cyanogenmod for mine me thinks.[/citation]

Um doesn't the HTC Desire have 512 ROM? Same as the Wildfire S but the Desire has a tiny bit more RAM.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mbooth1234[/nom]I have an HTC Inspire with AT&T which is essentially the same phone so I guess this puts me in this boat as well. I would gladly give up the Sense for a newer OS.[/citation]

No you are not in his boat. Your phone (mine is the same model) is like he Desire HD. Mine is rooted with 2.3.3 and Sense and works just fine. I don't think HTC will have the technical problem they are claiming for the older Desire.

HTC has also come ou to say they will unlock the boot loader (coming soon I hope) so that anyone can "root" their phone easily. There are already ROMs out there for the Desire with Gingerbread available so this news is just that HTC won't provide that update because they can't include Sense without losing performance.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
ROOT! I'm running a Cyanogen mod rom. Gingerbread on the original moto Droid..lol 2.3.3 I don't see what the deal is with upgrading the android os. If you can't, your not losing out. I haven't really noticed too many differences in the OS when going from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3. Custom roms are just more...customizable. You can tweak the look a layout to your needs and wants. Get a custom launcher like launcher pro from the market and you can do similar to the layout.

dougjjj

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I've got an HTC Desire and gave up waiting for the Gingerbread upgrade a while ago and moved to the Gingervillian ROM. Best move I've made in a long time, I've got the latest version of Android usually before most Nexus S users have it. The only downside was losing Sense UI but after adding a few new widgets I don't miss it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.