HTC Says Users Prefer Slim Phones Over Large Batteries

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As a HTC Vivid owner, I couldn't disagree with HTC more! My stupid phone doesn't even last a day. I am actually looking at a replacement battery now, but I have to sacrifice a modified back. That's OK with me! Just give me a solid day of use!

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]why not just give people more options by making the phone more modular by allowing the back cover to be replaced when you add an extended battery.Remember the days when you could give your windows mobile PPC or smartphone, a 3000-3500mAh battery and get like 8 hours of usage out of it non stop?with modern phones, if they allowed you to add a half inch of bulk and slap on a 3500-3700 mAh battery which are the upper end of extended batteries and get like 3 times the battery life.[/citation]
Best solution:
Allows for thin device while allowing people who want to have a thicker longer lasting device to add the thing they want. Not downsides. All consumers can get what they want. Companies can sell more and earn more money.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]GiveMeADay[/nom]As a HTC Vivid owner, I couldn't disagree with HTC more! My stupid phone doesn't even last a day. I am actually looking at a replacement battery now, but I have to sacrifice a modified back. That's OK with me! Just give me a solid day of use![/citation]
It is possible that you could extend your battery life dramatically. When I got my phone, the battery lasted 4 hours. When I got done updating, it lasted 8ish hours. After installing Juice Defender and Watch Dog, the battery lasted a full day unless heavily used. After installing LTE OnOff, my batter lasts 2 days (This utility required rooting).

Better batters are one way to improve things, but software and utility changes can dramatically help you as well. If you like your phone, other than the battery life, you might want to look around for help.

rdefilippi

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
How about making a very thin battery that occupies the entire back of the phone (more surface area) and making the back have a very thin layer of solar panel type material so it can charge continuously..and make it all out of flexible material to allow curing of the phone. Result, eye-popping form and function. Can't wait for it to be released!

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I have their HTC Thunderbolt, and mine lasts 2 days on light use, and over a day on heavier use (using Navigation for an hour+).That said, I rooted my phone and did a lot of research to find ways to extend my battery life. The first time I used the phone, the battery died in 4 hours of use and I barely used it. I took it back, talked to the sales rep for a while as he did a few updates. The phone then lasted about 8 hours. After a couple days, I had it up to 1 day due to a few different utilities. After rooting it and the use of watch dog and juiceDefender, the battery lasted a full day. After turning 4Glte off, the batter life doubled. I now only use 4Glte when I'm about to download something large.[/citation]
I went the other route. I went to seidioonline.com and got a 3200mAh battery (with replacement rear cover) and the Surface Extend Combo (protective skin plus holster that fit the Thunderbolt with the large battery). Best purchase I ever made as I can now use LTE and WiFi hotspot all day with no worries.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Yeah okay... "consumers" also said that phones should be no bigger then 4.5 inches. Look at how successful the Galaxy Note is. People were hesitant to buy it, and when they did, they fell in love with it.

Point is, consumers usually don't know what they want.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Running a 1.5ghz overclock on my HTC sensation 4g with an Anker 1900 mah battery, which is the same size as the original 1560 mah battery that came with my phone, I'm running almost 15 hours a day. With tweaks of course and a different cpu governor. But I have not noticed any problems.

Just improve Battery Technology, It can be thin as you want it HTC and all the other companies. Just make sure that I can go from sun up to sun down and then some with my phone.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I had a Razr Maxx and the battery life was splendid...and we all know that's a very svelte phone so I do buy the "It can't be thin and have a solidly-sized battery". If Android is your thing the Droid Razr Maxx is a nice phone with the best battery life you can get.

HTC...your excuses won't work.

G

I still go to the gym, so a phone with a big battery is no problem for me to lift. I really like the
idea of a phone lasting days on one charge, even if it is a bit porkulent compared to the phones
that need a feeding every day.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Of course, people buy super thin phones and then slap a giant, thick, heavy, bulky case onto it causing it to be thicker than it would have been with the bigger battery anyway.

Case in point: iPhone 4S with an Otter Box.

Oh well.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So, basically, they are doing what the video game companies did in the 1980s and somewhat into the 1990s, by saying there was no market in North America for RPGs. I wish companies would stop assuming that is what we want!

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So, basically, they are doing what the video game companies did in the 1980s and somewhat into the 1990s, by saying there was no market in North America for RPGs. I wish companies would stop assuming that is what we want!

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Ack, sorry for the double post, Windows crashed after I pressed "Submit My Comment" the first time, and I didn't think the comment ended up being posted because of that.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I have an HTC Hero that I couldn't get to last a full day. After finally rooting it and changing all kinds of things I can get about 3 days out of it. However, there is a problem where once the screen is switched off I don't get text notifications and etc. until I unlock it again.

Point being, how come I have to root this phone to change a bunch of settings and uninstall a bunch of crap to get better battery life. If HTC is so committed to battery life why was I able to do a better job than their engineers?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
really now...i believe that they asked the wrong people...i would sacrifice looks for battery life any day...there only reason why i did not purchase a droid maxxx was because of the crappy screen

craighay

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Now we know why Apple don't do background processing - it's to extend battery life. I have the ip-4s and bought the Mophie Juice Pack from day one - to 1) Provide protection from dropping (tested by accidently dropping from six feet onto a concrete floor - survived just fine) and 2) to double the battery life. I'm very happy with this now heavy/bulky phone that fits into both shirt pocket and hand with comfort and ease. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQjsWwMhVWc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS