HTML5 Slow Adoption Due to Cost, Fragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I dunno what soul keeper is talking about, adobe works just fine for me and only crashes when I bring the computer out of sleep for some reason(if I leave a website running it up)....
Anyways, I attribute the slow implementation of HTML 5 as "needs" and training issue.
It's like reinventing the wheel... HTML works, why mess with it, at least right away.... so, that will put HTML5 on the backburner in a production environment for now.
Plus, now all these programmers need to get trained up on HTML 5... taking away from valuable production time.

Personally, I don't see a reason to jump on HTML 5. I've seen it in action on various demo sites and it don't look no better/different/faster to me than flash or something else... Prolly because internet apps don't have as much adverse affect on system speed than they did in the past...

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Whether or not HTML5 is ever fully adopted, I will be grateful that it exists. It (or something) has really lit a fire under Adobe, and they've made a lot of great advancements to their Flash software recently. Still a long way to go for them, but for the first time I feel like Adobe Flash is actually working for its money.

Competition is a wonderful thing.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I use the HTML5 Beta on YouTube and it works great! (-YouTube.com/HTML5-) Can't wait till HTML5 finally rolls out.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]adobe flash crashes daily.I'm tired of enduring flash pain.html5 can't come fast enough.[/citation]
what are you talking about?....i can't remember that last time flash crashed on me....there is something wrong with your machine

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]adobe flash crashes daily.I'm tired of enduring flash pain.html5 can't come fast enough.[/citation]
Did it crossed your mind that perhaps you have a problem with your computer? I have several computers both at home and at work and none of them have the browser crashing with that high frequency. It's so uncommon that I don't remember when was the last time my browser crashed.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Everything adobe has ever made has been crap and crashed.
You can vote me down all you want, but their products suck and segfault constantly.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Adobe Flash is a POS. While some computers are fine (which use mainstream hardware), flash does not work on any machines with gaming graphics, or machines that run Linux. I cannot wait until HTML5 takes over ... already I have to watch half of youtube via HTML5 beta because flash decided to show a green square instead of the video.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Browser "fragmentation" is a good thing. That means that one exploit for webkit (Safari, Chrome) will not work on gecko (Firefox) and vice-versa. There's not such thing as "fragmentation".

Instead of focusing on each browser's tidbits and complain about how many there are, there's only one sensible way to deal with this: focus on code correctness and stick to the standard. Developers will eventually fix the browsers. Right now Firefox is at version 12 and Chrome at 20.0.1000something.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Also, Flash is a POS on Linux. I got rid of it 8 months ago and never looked back.

For the few YouTube videos that aren't converted I use ClipGrab.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
"Building apps with HTML5 is its own skill, it's harder than iOS," he said. "The app has to work across websites on different browsers, so browser fragmentation is an issue."

No it is not. If that is an issue then someone does not know enough about web development to call themselves a web developer!
Making things flexible seems to be a real problem for people with rigid minds.

There's also a problem of distribution. Unlike native apps developed for Android and iOS, there's no central location where users can purchase and install HTML5 apps. "Distribution is another major problem, where to find it," he said. "Consumers don't get HTML apps as there is no single place to go for the apps."
The websites could distribute them themselves perhaps?
Djeez this is really stupid. Why do we have to have a market place?

Mozilla is working on a market for HTML5 apps, you could use that one. SOLVED
(a non issue)

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]Everything adobe has ever made has been crap and crashed.You can vote me down all you want, but their products suck and segfault constantly.[/citation]

Even if that is true for most (which it isn't), find us a better design suite that actually has a usable interface. Good luck with that.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ukee1593[/nom]Adobe Flash is a POS. While some computers are fine (which use mainstream hardware), flash does not work on any machines with gaming graphics, or machines that run Linux. I cannot wait until HTML5 takes over ... already I have to watch half of youtube via HTML5 beta because flash decided to show a green square instead of the video.[/citation]
I have a GTX 590 and again I don't have any kind of problem with it. On linux it's a different story. This is were flash truly sucks.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
bla. bla. bla.

G

The article didn't mention hybrid apps, it seems many apps in the appstores are just hybrid apps.

They are based on HTML5 with a wrapper to allow it access to certain parts of a smartphone a normal website can't get access to.

Which means you have the advantages of HTML5 with a lof of the advantages of native.

Just look up something like PhoneGap (currently also owned by Adobe).

Status
Not open for further replies.