Huffington Post Writer Takes Home Pulitzer Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Nice and grats to him.But tech related how?[/citation]
journalism related, this place is technically news... so its roughly connected.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Nice and grats to him.But tech related how?[/citation]

Because it is the first time a blogger at a blog won this award.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Nice and grats to him.But tech related how?[/citation]Tom's Guide > Web Life > Special Report > News Influence Of Technology On Society > Huffington Post Writer Takes Home Pulitzer Prize

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
He is among the first journalists to win the Pulitzer while writing for a web-only news outlet. In other words, this guy is Jane's idol. Make sense now?

drevas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
This is bigger than some think. I don't remember the case, but a Judge somewhere in the US said a blogger was not, by definition, a journalist.

While this guy has some real chops in the profession, he won the most prestigious award you can bestow on a "journalist" for a series written on a blog.

It is a real big deal.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Congrats to him winning the award, but it'll be a much, much bigger deal when a true blogger (with no past journalism experience) wins the award. Let's be real -- based on his past experience, he's a journalist masquerading as a blogger.

markheber

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]flybri[/nom]Congrats to him winning the award, but it'll be a much, much bigger deal when a true blogger (with no past journalism experience) wins the award. Let's be real -- based on his past experience, he's a journalist masquerading as a blogger.[/citation]
Journalist and blogger are not always mutually exclusive appellations. They are rare to be seen together though.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]markheber[/nom]Journalist and blogger are not always mutually exclusive appellations. They are rare to be seen together though.[/citation]

I'm fully aware that they don't have to be mutually exclusive, it's just that I was going along with the general perception of what a blogger is (especially when compared to a journalist), and the fact that in court cases there have been rulings that clearly differentiate between the two. He's considered a blogger now because he works for a blog site, but what he's doing really still is journalism, which is why he won the Pulitzer.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, I actually didn't realize that the Huffington Post was solely an online entity. Like the first poster, I clicked on this story to figure out why this was tech related. Well congrats to David Wood and the Post and its nice to see the Pulitzer prize acknowledge great online work and the new media.

Not to sound like a downer but I hope everyone doesn't make a big deal out of this solely because the guy is a blogger, he should be honored solely for the quality of his work. The Pulitzer often seems to have a political/social agenda (the internet is important now apparently!) attached to its awarding and sometimes that obscures the quality of work by the recipient. No one wants to see it go the way of the Nobel Peace Prize (seems that 'peace' qualifies as the leader of a country in only 2 wars...)

Status
Not open for further replies.