Hulu Blocking Videos From Kylo Browser

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
This is non-news for those who live outside the US. See, the Internet is supposed to be worldwide, but Hulu has decided the Internet only exists in the US. I thought this sort of protectionist attitude went out with the mid-20th century, but I guess there are all sorts of backward-thinking corporate executives even in otherwise cutting-edge companies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Screw Hulu, it's a pain in the ass. There are more convenient ways to get digitally distributed shows.[/citation]

I assume you mean pirating it?

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I was on the verge of going legit, I was going to buy all my content and not torrent stuff anymore but then my Kylo browser was blocked!!!Dammit!!!I guess i'll just have to go back to torrenting all my TV shows again, so I can fullscreen them via the TV.Thanks Hulu, you just criminalised me again...[/citation]

It's a choice. No one is FORCING you to pirate.

Seriously, surf the web for a while, I'm sure you'll find a way to circumvent this bullshit.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
What it boils down to is simply this, the Nielsen ratings.

The Nielsen ratings is what the television economy is built on. Currently the only way to track these ratings is by switching to that particular channel on your TV. You can't do that if you are using the very same medium(TV) as a settop box to stream content via, well Hulu! Can't count the number of viewers, which means can't count the Nielsen ratings, which means can't rate a TV program for success or failure, and how much to charge for your advertising dollars.

What they need to do is figure out a data set that can include viewers from Hulu and other content providers that stream through HTPC's and alike.

tearlach2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]This is non-news for those who live outside the US. See, the Internet is supposed to be worldwide, but Hulu has decided the Internet only exists in the US. I thought this sort of protectionist attitude went out with the mid-20th century, but I guess there are all sorts of backward-thinking corporate executives even in otherwise cutting-edge companies.[/citation]
I am truly confused as to what this has to do with whole countries, and even then I wouldn't really care because I am an American and I really don't care about other countries. Hulu would only care if they were making money off people in other countries. Most people don't do things for nothing. Maybe some kind of artist does, I don't know I don't think that way.

LazerTag

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
in Kylo go to 'about:config' in the address (without the quotes of course) and search on the term 'agent'

Find the 'general.useragent.extra.polo' which should have a value of 'Kylo/0.6.1.70394' and change it to 'Firefox/3.6' this allows Hulu to work again

However it appears to break the ability to use Kylo's snazzy menu @ http://connect.kylo.tv site as it continues to redirect to http://www.kylo.tv I think since it sees your browser as Firefox it wants you to download and use Kylo. You can type in Hulu's address manually or from a favorite and get there no problem but what a bummer not to get that sweet menu.

G

FYI: HULU is a joint venture between NewsCorp(aka FOX)and NBC and in case you didn't know this by now they're only concerns are making money and controlling the way you spend money in there favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.