Hunting for a new laptop

Stryke15

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
Hey there! This will be a long-winded post so I apologize in advance.

First things first, it's important that you know how I got here. I was the unhappy owner of a Samsung NP355V5C until very recently. On paper, it looked great for it's $500 price tag but I quickly discovered the thing was a shiny, plastic piece of ****.

For this reason, I have decided I want to purchase a laptop that is made of decent quality parts. The manufacturers I've been told to look at are MSI, Asus and Lenovo. I'm open to suggestions of course.

This laptop will be used for gaming and I live in Canada.

Price Range: Would like to keep it under $800 (including taxes/shipping). The lower the better of course.

Screen: 15.6 inch screen (720p). If I have to, I'll drop to 14 inches (The Lenovo Y40 looks fine) but I'd prefer the larger screen. That being said, I've found that laptops with screens larger than 15 inches have a much higher price tag for a feature I don't need or want.

Storage: The hard drive is irrelevant. As soon as it arrives that thing is getting a WD Black drive popped into it. I don't want an SSD.

Usage: This laptop will be used for gaming. It doesn't need to look that pretty but I'm really leaning towards something with a discrete graphics card.

Memory: I want at least 6 gigs of RAM. If there's less than that, it needs to be able to accept the two 4 gig sticks left over from my Samsung.

Battery & Weight: Battery life and weight are not very important.

I'd appreciate any help you could all give and I'll definitely take advantage of black friday/cyber monday if possible.

Stryke15

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

That Acer is pretty interesting. Do you know of any that have a smaller display with similar specs? Also, hows the build quality on most Acers?