I’ve been testing gaming gear for years — here are the 4 best products I actually own

DasLooney

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is a poorly disguised paid endorsement for Logitech ad that is unworthy of being published on a respectable site like Tom's Hardware. Everything save the gaming rig is all LOGITECH? No legit article here - just a paid ad. Sad day, sad advertisement for Logitech.

Reactions: Madhopz
Jan 1, 2023
What is this? How much did Logitech pay you for this article? Not even offering a comparison to other brands? All the products listed here have valid flaws especially the G915. Better read a more neutral reviews of the products somewhere else than this Logitech advertisement.

Jan 1, 2023
While I do have some Logitech products, I can say their mouses are decent but no where near perfect. I am actually using the PRO Superlight, and don't need all the extra buttons.

As for the Powerplay mat.. that is a whole different story. I got one back in July 2022 and it lasted until around August 2022. I contacted support and they requested that I take videos of me turning it on and not functioning, to prove I owned one. I was flabbergasted they didn't believe me, and had me go through multiple ways to prove I owned it, and then took over six weeks just to tell me that they didn't have the Powerplay mats in stock anymore, and I could pick another item for replacement.

So in short.. I will not be buying another Powerplay mat. I am also now up in the air about buying anything Logitech, as their support has become atrocious.

Jan 1, 2023
When did Tom's hardware become so bad? This isn't even thinly veiled shilling. Pathetic. Shame on you the author and shame on this publication.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I don't write articles I'm only a gamer. And I've tried razor and I've tried Corsair products. But I'm in the same boat he is everything I have from headset keyboard to mouse even webcam is Logitech. And he's right mixing them all you have to install multiple management apps that don't integrate well together. I temporarily went over to Razor for my mice because Logitech mechanical switches weren't very good and they fail. But now that Logitech has adopted laser optical switches in their mice I was able to come back and I'm glad I did. It's just nice having one app as a centralized baseline to control and synchronize everything including the lights, settings and everything else. I'm not a shrill for Logitech. I've been a gamer for well over 20 years. And I just prefer their products.

Jan 2, 2023
Gone through 3 logitech headsets in 14 mths with 3 different faults in 3 different headsets.Mic was crap could never get right in the settings and needed adjustment constantly.
I bought a cheap razer Headset for 60 € while waiting. It was better in every way. In fact the only product I personally got from that was the best on the market from logitech was a webcam. I can't comment on the mouses as I never used them. But didn't like the keyboards

Jan 2, 2023
So much unnecessary criticism. It's his setup and he likes it. The article isn't a review or comparison. I have the same gear except the pad and it works well. Take the article for what it is and relax.

Marshall Honorof

Editor
Herald
Aug 1, 2013
Good afternoon all. This piece went live while I was away for the holiday break, and didn't see the comments until today. I see that it rubbed some people the wrong way, and for that, I apologize profusely. It was never my intention to hurt anyone's feelings, or to come off as insensitive. Perhaps it would help if I clarified a few points:

This is a poorly disguised paid endorsement for Logitech ad that is unworthy of being published on a respectable site like Tom's Hardware. Everything save the gaming rig is all LOGITECH? No legit article here - just a paid ad. Sad day, sad advertisement for Logitech.

I got this comment, or a variation thereof, a few times. I know this probably wasn't your intention, but suggesting that a manufacturer paid off a reviewer is one of the most insulting — and inaccurate — things you can say to a tech journalist. Tom's Guide does allow sponsored posts, but they are always clearly marked. Furthermore, I have never written one, and I don't intend to in the future.

The truth of the matter is that if a reviewer ever accepted a payoff for a piece, it would be a catastrophic scandal, not just for the writer, but for the entire site. I would lose my job instantly — and that would just be the beginning. Any participating party from Tom's Guide or Logitech would lose their jobs as well, and probably never work in the industry again. You would hear about the scandal for years to come.

There were a few along similar lines:

What is this? How much did Logitech pay you for this article? Not even offering a comparison to other brands? All the products listed here have valid flaws especially the G915. Better read a more neutral reviews of the products somewhere else than this Logitech advertisement.

Lol, this message was brought to you by...

When did Tom's hardware become so bad? This isn't even thinly veiled shilling. Pathetic. Shame on you the author and shame on this publication.

Once again, the only thing Logitech did in this scenario was provide the gear to Tom's Guide for review. Incorporating the gear into my home setup was my choice. Writing about it was my choice. The only payment I received for this assignment was my regular salary. I don't feel ashamed of this, but if there is a reason why I should, please elaborate, and I will give the matter some more consideration.

I should also point out, just for accuracy's sake, that this site isn't Tom's Hardware; it's Tom's Guide. Tom's Hardware is our sister site, and it has a completely different editorial team.

I covered this in the piece itself, but the reasons why I use Logitech gear are twofold: I believe the gear is built to last, and I like using just one software program to manage all my peripherals. There's no special reason beyond that. Before I had my current setup, I used Razer gear, then Corsair gear. At work, I use a mix of Logitech, Corsair, and Roccat gear.

If you think that this is all some kind of huge cover-up for a massive payola conspiracy, then frankly, I don't know what I could do to change your mind. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability, but that's all I can offer. Otherwise, as I said, I really like the gear I discussed in this piece. It's not perfect. It's not right for every setup. It's not significantly better than many competing products. But what I use at home, and I hope someone finds that useful and/or interesting.

Jan 6, 2023
What a commercial for Logitech!

Too bad their products aren't built to last. I bought a Logitech mechanical keyboard during the first weeks of the pandemic. The switch design was absolutely moronic. Instead of having solid stems, ala Cherry, they used thin clips, 4 of them. Guess how fast those broke? Within a year half of my caps had to be replaced (no really, I replaced 62 of them), two switches outright stopped working, and the two more had only partially working LEDs (I had no blue in one, and no red in another).

Despite it literally still being in warranty, Logitech literally never answered a single email, a single tweet, 3 live chats resulted in dead ends, and phone calls all ended with me getting lost in menu hell and never being able to reach anyone.

So tell me again how they're so great and designed to last?