I’ve driven more than 1,000 miles in Teslas — and I’ll never buy one

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 3, 2023
You mentioned Tesla’s electronic door opening mechanism is a new, over complicated and a dumb way to complete a standard simple procedure. Whilst I might agree on a few aspects of that, I disagree with most, as to innovate, you need to differentiate yourself and think of new ways to do things. What you are suggesting is that Tesla stays in the past.

another example of this is with your complaints about the controls being screen based. Buttons might feel good, but those are becoming obsolete. A screen allows for new features to be added with a software update, whilst physical buttons can’t be moved or changed. This allows the car to remain cool and exciting even after a few years of owning it.

P.S. 1000 miles isn’t that much, having one for a few months and using it as your normal car for that period to fully get an idea about the car.

Pete Mitchell

Commendable
Sep 25, 2020
What a jerk article to write. Tesla are changing the world why would you try chime in with some crap arguments, that frankly are stupid.
I guess sometimes you just need to print something…

Oh noes, someone said something negative about Tesla. Bring on the fanbois with pitchforks!

Pete Mitchell

Commendable
Sep 25, 2020
1000 miles? Is that it? Nowhere near enough to base a decision on that excludes the brand completely.

Well, he's tried the Y and didn't like it, and said the S/X are out of most people's price range, which is definitely true. That leaves the 3, which has the same issues as the Y.

So what's the other Tesla option? A semi?

Pete Mitchell

Commendable
Sep 25, 2020
You mentioned Tesla’s electronic door opening mechanism is a new, over complicated and a dumb way to complete a standard simple procedure. Whilst I might agree on a few aspects of that, I disagree with most, as to innovate, you need to differentiate yourself and think of new ways to do things. What you are suggesting is that Tesla stays in the past.

another example of this is with your complaints about the controls being screen based. Buttons might feel good, but those are becoming obsolete. A screen allows for new features to be added with a software update, whilst physical buttons can’t be moved or changed. This allows the car to remain cool and exciting even after a few years of owning it.

P.S. 1000 miles isn’t that much, having one for a few months and using it as your normal car for that period to fully get an idea about the car.

It's a door opening mechanism. The last innovation there was electric locks, and a physical door opening mechanism is required by law anyway.

I'm all for software updatable devices. Hell, my range just got a free air frying mode added recently via a software update.

Anything that requires the driver to take their eyes off the road is an issue. I think the author is correct in assuming that Tesla designed the dashboard of the 3 & Y, and S & X to a lesser extent, with the intent of the driver using FSD most of the time. Unfortunately for them, it's way late and still not ready.

Reactions: Morw
Jan 1, 2023
I'm not on the side of the author of this article or Tesla but I fail to see what his Twitter profile saying "I'm not on Twitter anymore" has to do with any disdain he may or may not have for Elon Musk. There's no correlation there whatsoever. It just seems you get touchy about anyone saying anything that could be deemed negative about Tesla or Elon. Don't let your personal love affair with Elon cloud your rationality.

You say I seem to be touchy and I say the author seems to be biased. I’ll add that you seem to be touchy yourself. See how that works? Touche.

Apr 23, 2023
You mention noise pollution. That low speed Tesla siren warble is annoying in the neighborhood. Sounds like a bombing warning siren at first thought and you can hear it blocks away. Normal cars are much quieter in this residential area. Much. Quieter.
Blame government for that one. They have set minimum / maximum sound levels and approved sounds for electric cars at low speed.

Apr 23, 2023
Click bait article at best. Now getting reposted 4 months later by “The Sun” the worst newspaper in the UK.

The biggest lie here is that if the screen faults then you can’t drive it.

The screen is independent of everything else. You can control a lot of things via voice or app. You can even see the speed in the app.

If you want you can add a spectate behind steering wheel screen in 30 mins and that can even have android auto and CarPlay.

You can add CarPlay to the main screen with a $100 device in seconds. Works through the browser.

You can unlock the car and and unlock the drive mode via the app ( PIN code )

The entertainment computer is ALSO independent of the drive computers ( with dual redundant systems )

The cars are fully drivable with the screen off not working or even smashed and removed.

Nov 13, 2022
So you need to buy a smartphone and use their app on said phone. Seems less and less functional every day.