I accidentally bought an Android Phone unlocked, but from the wrong carrier with no Volte support. Does this matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arachnyd

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I'm only moderately knowledgeable about phones but have been doing lots of research.

I read people freaking out about buying phones from the wrong carrier, and dropping calls and such.

I bought an LG V20 997 Unlocked, and I'm on Tmobile. It seems like all the bands overlap except B66 which I never had before anyway. The only issue looks like its a lack of Volte, which I don't understand fully, but it looks like wifi calling won't work if band 12 is being used, and maybe there's no phone calling available on LTE? That sounds problemmatic.

I can't return the phone, but its unopened, so I can probably sell it and buy the "right" phone. What I can't figure out though is if this really matters as much as people make it out to be. Like am I going to be unable to make phone calls and have phone problems all the time? if so, I'll take the $100 hit and resell it and buy a new one... or is it a minor inconvenience that some purists are concerned about? I can ultimately try the phone, but opening a new phone instantly crushes its value, and I'm leaning towards just selling it on Ebay. I don't want to get stranded somewhere unable to get phone calls or something because no Volte jams up my phone all the time or something.

I feel like this is a dumb question, but I've been researching like crazy and I'm not "there yet".

Thanks for any help.

Volte support is just '4G on LTE' support. So you would only have, if that is the devices issue, 3G and 2G access.

If you go to the bottom portion of this page... http://www.lg.com/us/unlocked-phones ... it has info on that device which says it should have LTE capabilities. I think you should check with the manufacturer about this. As if you got it from a place that won't allow returns/exchanges, I would find that rather fishy.

arachnyd

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Thanks for your response. I simply bought an unlocked SPRINT phone instead of an unlocked TMobile. Since I have TMobile, I have no VoLTE support. IT does have LTE The Sprint version is 996 and the Tmobile is 918. I thought all I had to do was buy unlocked, and didn't realize the OEM mattered except for bands coverage.

arachnyd

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I decided to keep it. It works fine, but I'll see if VoLTE matters. I wish I really understood what VolTE means or whether it actually does matter or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.