I can't adjust my screen brightness. With my fn and up and down keys . And i cant see on the screen

jennaotto32

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
I can't adjust my screen brightness. With my fn and up and down keys . And i cant see on the screen... but when i plug it into my tv i can see on my tv

Solution
Are you pressing the Fn key in conjunction with the relevant brightness Function key? Function keys can two things- the black icon operates without the Fn key but if there's a blue icon and the Fn key is printed in blue, you need to press both.
Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".

2. Click the "Change plan settings" link next to which ever plan you are currently using and then click "Change advance power settings".

3. In this new window click "Display" to open up the listings under it.

4. Now locate and click each of the following..."Display brightness", "Dimmed display brightness" and "Enable adaptive brightness".

5. Change each of these to the settings you wish, then click the "Apply" button and finally the "OK" button.

6. You should be good.

jennaotto32

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Its difficult to explain... i can slightly see there's something on the screen. Like if u open documents for eg.. u can slightly see the white block.. but no details

Are you pressing the Fn key in conjunction with the relevant brightness Function key? Function keys can two things- the black icon operates without the Fn key but if there's a blue icon and the Fn key is printed in blue, you need to press both.

Solution
Jul 10, 2018

Jul 10, 2018
This did not work. Nothing seems to work. I remember this happened years ago and someone told me to hold the brightness up button while powering on. Nothing happened this time

This is an old thread which is due for closure and if this suggestion fails, please start a new thread.

The brightness control can be held to ransom by conflicting power optons and the only way round it is to keep changing different settings until you hit the right combination.

Microsoft never fixed it and it's been annoying folks since Windows '95 was a kid but you can find the fix for your circumstances. Try all the combinations while on mains electricity and only on battery.