I charged a Kia EV9 for the first time and it was more expensive than filling up my gas-powered car

Jun 20, 2024
Public charging costs vary widely. It's always, in my experience, at least double what it costs at home (my home is 13c/kwh). Level 2 at home is necessary, and public is only for when you need it on a trip. Many evs come with a certain amount of free DC fast charging as well. Mine had 3 years of free charging at Electrify America. It was a bit of a sticker shock when this ran out even though I was aware of the 30, 35, 40c/kwh prices around here.

Jun 20, 2024
Sensationalize the headline much? Is your vehicle also a 7 passenger full size SUV? How many miles do you get out of that tank?

All EV owners know that the real savings is amortized over the total number of miles driven, not one charge, since home charging is generally significantly less than public. Even if it wasn't, you are still keeping eliminate thousands of pounds of greenhouse gasses over years worth of driving.

Jun 20, 2024
Very disappointed from Tom’s guide at putting out this sensationalistic report. You guys are supposed to cut through the bull and show honest reviews about how technology works! As was previously noted this is a sensational and misinformation article. I bet I could find a place nearby my house where I could go and spend an extra two dollars a gallon on gas as well! I will definitely be bypassing Tom’s guide articles in the future. You’re turning into just another Clickbait machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruban

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2015
Why is the author comparing a huge SUV charge up cost to his gas car with a small 13 gallon tank? I'm sure the EV9 is still cheaper at peak rates than filling up any gas powered SUV of similar size.

Jun 20, 2024
Regardless of how much they cost to charge. When I stop seeing EVs burning on the side of the highway I’ll consider buying one. Wish i could post videos on here. This will be remembered as the biggest cash grab in history. Fear based Marketing. Society weaker than it’s ever been due to a chemically poisoned environment. Playing on anxiety from low Testosterone levels. So easy to trick animals into responding this way. We, as a society, have adopted the “sky is falling” mentality. I read chicken little as a kid. How has common sense been replaced by panic?

Jun 20, 2024
Very disappointed from Tom’s guide at putting out this sensationalistic report. You guys are supposed to cut through the bull and show honest reviews about how technology works! As was previously noted this is a sensational and misinformation article. I bet I could find a place nearby my house where I could go and spend an extra two dollars a gallon on gas as well! I will definitely be bypassing Tom’s guide articles in the future. You’re turning into just another Clickbait machine.
Agreed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Old&Grumpy
Jun 20, 2024
Definitely a disappointing article. We need to know what the author drives as a gas powered car and compare that to a similar EV. I drive an electric F150 and certainly could not compare that to even my previous gas powered truck, which was a Honda Ridgeline. Every EV article needs to start with the preface that it is absolutely requirement to have a level two charger at home. Second, it should state that if you are a frequent long-distance road tripper and/or need to tow, that an EV should not be your choice of vehicle and you should get an efficient, gas powered or hybrid vehicle. If you are road tripping with your EV, there are plenty of apps like PlugShare that’ll show you the prices of charging stations. EV owner should not be paying $.64 per kilowatt hour for charging. You can get monthly plans with EVgo and Electrify America to bring the cost down. You need to be a little smarter owning an EV and be able to do some basic math.

Jun 20, 2024
Regardless of how much they cost to charge. When I stop seeing EVs burning on the side of the highway I’ll consider buying one. Wish i could post videos on here. This will be remembered as the biggest cash grab in history. Fear based Marketing. Society weaker than it’s ever been due to a chemically poisoned environment. Playing on anxiety from low Testosterone levels. So easy to trick animals into responding this way. We, as a society, have adopted the “sky is falling” mentality. I read chicken little as a kid. How has common sense been replaced by panic?
Gas cars are over 60 times more likely to catch on fire than an EV. The newer battery chemistries and thermal management systems will almost completely eliminate the chances of a fire. Some people are like sheep and will believe the outlandish propaganda put out by the oil and gas industry.

Jun 20, 2024
Gas cars are over 60 times more likely to catch on fire than an EV. The newer battery chemistries and thermal management systems will almost completely eliminate the chances of a fire. Some people are like sheep and will believe the outlandish propaganda put out by the oil and gas industry.

"Some people are like sheep"

Oh the irony 🤣🤣

Reactions: davidc22
Jun 20, 2024
Headline is misleading but situation is correct... Charging an EV car cost way less than filling-up with gasoline.

Your situation can be compared filling a Suburban SUV vs a Crossover SUV which will have a huge gas cost difference.

A big capacity battery will require more charge, hence cost more just like a gasoline vehicle with a large gas tank will require more gas to fill-up, therefore cost more. Your average EV car on the market has a 50 kv battery which costs about $17- $25 to fill ( rates range from 34cents to 50cents) Peak time rates can go up to 60cents / kwh. Double the battery capacity and you will get the $46 the author had (100kv).

Also the 'Time of Day' you charge and the 'Location' or 'Charge Point' you select impacts how much you pay... Same as if you decide to fill-up at a gas station in any downtown part of a city, you will pay more for the gas compared to filling-up in the suburbs.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2024
Okay, this article bothers me quite a bit.

Just yesterday, for some unknown reason, I was pushed a months old story by this same author who was shocked to learn that 110v home charging for an EV was slow.

Now today this pops up, and it's pretty clear author John Velasco isn't just misinformed or lazy, he has an agenda.

Serious question, why is a guy who reviews cell phones also qualified to review cars? Especially when at best he exhibits almost zero knowledge on the topic. Hopefully Kia and other manufacturers stop offering Tom's Guide cars to review, because the John's reviews are an obvious mix of disingenuous and cherry-picked misinformation meant as fuel for the mouth breathers in the anti-EV gang.

I'd say 'stick to reviewing phones' but after reading John's other articles it's clear he's either willfully ignorant or not honest. Not great. I wouldn't trust his phone reviews either.

Edit: Last thought...my cost to charge at home is ~0.11 cents per kwh when charging off-peak. Going from 0 to 100% would cost me $11 and give me 275miles of range while driving a car that faster, quieter, and more reliable than any ICE vehicle I've ever owned. Not no mention no oil changes, no transmission flushes, no belts to change at 80k miles, etc.

Last edited:

john_velasco

Great
Feb 29, 2024
Public charging costs vary widely. It's always, in my experience, at least double what it costs at home (my home is 13c/kwh). Level 2 at home is necessary, and public is only for when you need it on a trip. Many evs come with a certain amount of free DC fast charging as well. Mine had 3 years of free charging at Electrify America. It was a bit of a sticker shock when this ran out even though I was aware of the 30, 35, 40c/kwh prices around here.
I did some research and there are still actually places that offer free charging. However, they're usually one or 2 there at most. I'm curious if one day we'll have some sort of service that would let homeowners loan then Level 2 chargers to the public, but I suspect there's a lot of liability around that ever happening.

john_velasco

Great
Feb 29, 2024
Headline is misleading but situation is correct... Charging an EV car cost way less than filling-up with gasoline.

Your situation can be compared filling a Suburban SUV vs a Crossover SUV which will have a huge gas cost difference.

A big capacity battery will require more charge, hence cost more just like a gasoline vehicle with a large gas tank will require more gas to fill-up, therefore cost more. Your average EV car on the market has a 50 kv battery which costs about $17- $25 to fill ( rates range from 34cents to 50cents) Peak time rates can go up to 60cents / kwh. Double the battery capacity and you will get the $46 the author had (100kv).

Also the 'Time of Day' you charge and the 'Location' or 'Charge Point' you select impacts how much you pay... Same as if you decide to fill-up at a gas station in any downtown part of a city, you will pay more for the gas compared to filling-up in the suburbs.
heading into it, I was thinking there would still be a huge savings over pumping gas, but there's still a lot of consumers who aren't aware about the small details like this.

Reactions: ibrah B

john_velasco

Great
Feb 29, 2024
Okay, this article bothers me quite a bit.

Just yesterday, for some unknown reason, I was pushed a months old story by this same author who was shocked to learn that 110v home charging for an EV was slow.

Now today this pops up, and it's pretty clear author John Velasco isn't just misinformed or lazy, he has an agenda.

Serious question, why is a guy who reviews cell phones also qualified to review cars? Especially when at best he exhibits almost zero knowledge on the topic. Hopefully Kia and other manufacturers stop offering Tom's Guide cars to review, because the John's reviews are an obvious mix of disingenuous and cherry-picked misinformation meant as fuel for the mouth breathers in the anti-EV gang.

I'd say 'stick to reviewing phones' but after reading John's other articles it's clear he's either willfully ignorant or not honest. Not great. I wouldn't trust his phone reviews either.

Edit: Last thought...my cost to charge at home is ~0.11 cents per kwh when charging off-peak. Going from 0 to 100% would cost me $11 and give me 275miles of range while driving a car that faster, quieter, and more reliable than any ICE vehicle I've ever owned. Not no mention no oil changes, no transmission flushes, no belts to change at 80k miles, etc.
I'm 100% for EVs, but these are experiences that people need to know about. I hear the same stuff in my iPhone vs Android articles, but these are experiences that drive a point so that people are informed. I have a neighbor who is clearly against EVs, but as I've pointed out to him, I bet he'd be happy saving money in his pocket at the end of the day with an EV. Just like anything tech, there's a solution for everyone. I like the value of a PHEV for those who are reluctant about EVs, but I also love the better long term savings of an EV. Anything is better than 100% ICE vehicles, including standard hybrids that get 50 mpg.

Jun 20, 2024
Horribly misleading, and shows the author doesn't understand the dynamics of EV ownership. I have never once paid for high speed charging. First my car came with three years free. But even had I been paying, i've probably only used high speed chargers maybe a dozen times. A major benefit of EV ownership is to be able to charge at home and never have to take time out of your day to 'fill up'. Most charging for most people is done either at home or at a level 2 charger that is public. High speed charging is primarialy intended for road tripping further afield. Can it be used as a dailly fill up? Sure, but its expensive.

A fair comparison is between home charging and the local gas station. You know, at home, where you pay less, and never have to go out of your way......

Jun 20, 2024
heading into it, I was thinking there would still be a huge savings over pumping gas, but there's still a lot of consumers who aren't aware about the small details like this.
Its a horribly misleading article. This isn't a small detail. You can buy an EV, charge at home, never once have to go out of your way to 'fill up', and pay far less than for gasoline. This is what most EV users do most of the time. Its a completely different pattern, which most don't comprehend until they own one. You don't need to ever use these super expensive high speed chargers, unless you are road tripping. And many EV's come with some period of free charging at these chargers anyway...

john_velasco

Great
Feb 29, 2024
Definitely a disappointing article. We need to know what the author drives as a gas powered car and compare that to a similar EV. I drive an electric F150 and certainly could not compare that to even my previous gas powered truck, which was a Honda Ridgeline. Every EV article needs to start with the preface that it is absolutely requirement to have a level two charger at home. Second, it should state that if you are a frequent long-distance road tripper and/or need to tow, that an EV should not be your choice of vehicle and you should get an efficient, gas powered or hybrid vehicle. If you are road tripping with your EV, there are plenty of apps like PlugShare that’ll show you the prices of charging stations. EV owner should not be paying $.64 per kilowatt hour for charging. You can get monthly plans with EVgo and Electrify America to bring the cost down. You need to be a little smarter owning an EV and be able to do some basic math.
I do drive a gas powered car and hate paying for gas. But regardless of the vehicle type, most of the people I talked to who don't have an EV and thinking of buying one thought it would be MUCH cheaper to charge at a charging station vs paying for gas. That's why I point out where are the real savings.

colossusrageblack

Commendable
Jul 18, 2022
I almost never see a single comment in a Tom's Guide article, but apparently there's a group of people that take up arms the moment someone says something bad about EVs.