I charged a Kia EV9 for the first time and it was more expensive than filling up my gas-powered car

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 21, 2024
First time EV owners could be in for a shock when they charge their vehicles at a charging station for the first time. It might cost more than filling up gas-powered vehicles.

I charged a Kia EV9 for the first time and it was more expensive than filling up my gas-powered car : Read more

Pics or it never happened.
Screenshot-20240621-194253-Charge-Point.jpg

Screenshot-20240621-194258-Charge-Point.jpg
Screenshot-20240621-194248-Charge-Point.jpg

Jun 22, 2024
This guy…What’s his deal. Very disappointed at the sensationalized tone. Sounds like he doesn’t have much experience. A lot depends on where you live and where you charge. I’m at Electrify America charging as I write this. I’m in Alameda, CA and an 80% charge is going to cost me about $19-$20 when it is done in 3 more minutes, and I will have about 255 miles range. Also, what’s the big deal about Level one charging at home. It’s simple. Figure out your driving pattern and plan accordingly. I live between %30-%80. It’s easy to get %80 overnight. I have a 2019 Kia Niro EV. Going electric has proven to be a no-brainer. I’ve had ZERO maintenance costs and the biggest expense for this car has been tires.

Jun 27, 2024
Sensationalize the headline much? Is your vehicle also a 7 passenger full size SUV? How many miles do you get out of that tank?

All EV owners know that the real savings is amortized over the total number of miles driven, not one charge, since home charging is generally significantly less than public. Even if it wasn't, you are still keeping eliminate thousands of pounds of greenhouse gasses over years worth of driving.
How is that sensationalize? Its informative to some people where their electric charge at home are the same as this public charging station. My off peak hours charging are .37c summer .34c winter, so i will not see any savings. People like you are the real ones that turn off people from ev adoption.

Jun 27, 2024
Misinformation and sensationalism. If true at all that is a sky high price to charge. 10 cents kwh at home and average is ..34 kwh at Tesla superchargers and using the plug share app there are free public chargers EVERYWHERE!!!!
Except not everyone has .10c at home... my lowest would be .34c.

Jun 27, 2024
This guy…What’s his deal. Very disappointed at the sensationalized tone. Sounds like he doesn’t have much experience. A lot depends on where you live and where you charge. I’m at Electrify America charging as I write this. I’m in Alameda, CA and an 80% charge is going to cost me about $19-$20 when it is done in 3 more minutes, and I will have about 255 miles range. Also, what’s the big deal about Level one charging at home. It’s simple. Figure out your driving pattern and plan accordingly. I live between %30-%80. It’s easy to get %80 overnight. I have a 2019 Kia Niro EV. Going electric has proven to be a no-brainer. I’ve had ZERO maintenance costs and the biggest expense for this car has been tires.
How much do you pay for your EA sub to get the better price? I also live in CA the cheapest ev rate i get from PGE is .34 off peak!!! All other rates are .43c+. So, when you pay for your monthly sub and how many times you charge month make the math and let me know to see IF i want to be make the jump else this article was very informative to me and others who feel the same about wasting 30min per charge.

Jun 27, 2024
Horribly misleading, and shows the author doesn't understand the dynamics of EV ownership. I have never once paid for high speed charging. First my car came with three years free. But even had I been paying, i've probably only used high speed chargers maybe a dozen times. A major benefit of EV ownership is to be able to charge at home and never have to take time out of your day to 'fill up'. Most charging for most people is done either at home or at a level 2 charger that is public. High speed charging is primarialy intended for road tripping further afield. Can it be used as a dailly fill up? Sure, but its expensive.

A fair comparison is between home charging and the local gas station. You know, at home, where you pay less, and never have to go out of your way......
My home price would be .34c for off peak hours, where would the savings come then? People are trying to figure out the whole charging and filling dilemma, but reply's like yours turn them off because instead of giving actual numbers you attack the article writer.

Jun 27, 2024
Headline is misleading but situation is correct... Charging an EV car cost way less than filling-up with gasoline.

Your situation can be compared filling a Suburban SUV vs a Crossover SUV which will have a huge gas cost difference.

A big capacity battery will require more charge, hence cost more just like a gasoline vehicle with a large gas tank will require more gas to fill-up, therefore cost more. Your average EV car on the market has a 50 kv battery which costs about $17- $25 to fill ( rates range from 34cents to 50cents) Peak time rates can go up to 60cents / kwh. Double the battery capacity and you will get the $46 the author had (100kv).

Also the 'Time of Day' you charge and the 'Location' or 'Charge Point' you select impacts how much you pay... Same as if you decide to fill-up at a gas station in any downtown part of a city, you will pay more for the gas compared to filling-up in the suburbs.
See a lot of people mention the whole some locations are free, you have to by a subscription for lower rates at some chargers, and the big one home charging. But for people like me who's lowest rate to charge at home is .34c midnight to 3pm, is just not feasible. Work commute is 110miles round trip, and shuttling four kids. My regular vehicle is more convenient and cost effective in the end.