i connected my desktop to my tv and i can see picture but no sound comes out of my tv only my deskto, why?

yaya8587

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
i connected my computer to my tv and i can see picture but no sound comes out from tv only from the desktop, why? how can i get my tv to work on sound?

Solution
When you go into "Control Panel and then "Sounds". While on the "Playback" tab, right click on the empty background space in that window and make sure you check the boxes for "Show Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disabled Devices". It may be hiding that way.

yaya8587

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

yaya8587

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
I connected a displayport to hdmi adapter from my desktop to my tv and at first it only gave a wallpaper of my screen but no apps, so I shut down everything tv & desktop and then connected everything again and same thing so I restarted my desktop and then I was able to view everything from my desktop on my tv but no sound from my tv only my desktop.

yaya8587

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Well are there any other devices connected to the TV? This would not be part of the physical TV itself and would be separate. I ask because if there is say a surround sound system connected that would cause you not to get sound on the TV from the computer if they are all not connected in the correct order.

However I am not a TV person, so for more details on such connections you should try asking in the "Streaming Video & TVs" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-4.html :)

yaya8587

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

yaya8587

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Before I connected the adapter the only thing connected was the cable box but I disconnected that, I tried to do playback devices from my computer but it doesn't give me the option for more devices only my computer.

When you go into "Control Panel and then "Sounds". While on the "Playback" tab, right click on the empty background space in that window and make sure you check the boxes for "Show Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disabled Devices". It may be hiding that way.

Solution