I didn’t fear burn-in on my OLED gaming monitor — until I got burned

Apr 9, 2023
its the qd oled!!! it burns in at a much higher rate than standard oled. this has beem proven by rtings also! the lack of the white subpixel makes it super suspectible.
also alienware warranty is a joke. do not buy ANY qd oleds bois. its not good. its kind of false advertising with "less likely to burn in".
you are not an exception with this experience. it is pretty standard for all qd oleds... however, woled screens are still holding up, many after 5+++ years. burn in 2 months with light usage is a joke(yours is light usage)

ps i would go as far as not even calling qd oled. it should be called no-w-oled. a cheap copy of the woled sceeens.

Apr 9, 2023
I’ve had the exact opposite experience as mentioned here. I have the same monitor but my issues were much much worse (monitor refusing to turn on, needing to unplug it from power just to get it back on, extreme drops in refresh rate for seemingly no reason). And my experience with support was much much better. I contacted dell through their site and never had to leave their site. Within an hour I had confirmation for the shipment of a replacement. That replacement came in and I shipped the first one back the next day in the same box.

I’m not sure if buying from Dell directly makes a difference or maybe the support for the UK isn’t quite up to snuff or they’re more strict about burn-in but for this American Dell/Alienware support gets a thumbs up.👍

Apr 9, 2023
Yours is a different story.You dont need to send photos etc, just tell them it doesnt work.
With burn-in its very different mate.

Reactions: Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
its the qd oled!!! it burns in at a much higher rate than standard oled. this has beem proven by rtings also! the lack of the white subpixel makes it super suspectible.
also alienware warranty is a joke. do not buy ANY qd oleds bois. its not good. its kind of false advertising with "less likely to burn in".
you are not an exception with this experience. it is pretty standard for all qd oleds... however, woled screens are still holding up, many after 5+++ years. burn in 2 months with light usage is a joke(yours is light usage)

ps i would go as far as not even calling qd oled. it should be called no-w-oled. a cheap copy of the woled sceeens.

WOLED with MLA for the win.

Reactions: Gee_Simpson
Apr 9, 2023
I have the same monitor. This isn't a monitor one can just turn on, then expect an antiquated screensaver to save that screen.

I use a black background and no icons. I use FreeBSD and Linux. In XFCE I have the panels hide.

And no screensaver.

One must allow the screen to sleep, then every four hours the monitor does a pixel refresh. Had mine almost a year, no issues.

Reactions: jkteddy77

Nightseer

Estimable
Jun 9, 2020
Makes me wonder if one used dark mode, or reduced brightness for in Windows use, if burnin could be prevented. Since Inknow TVs reduce brightness on channel logos to prevent burnin. Plus pixel shifting is more efficient if it isn't nice bright static line. Dunno if this monitor uses it. Finally screensaver will only help if you are AFK for long time, it won't fix the issue if you got Chrome open and are actively working for hours because I'm that case it won't really engage it. But so far burnin wasn't really solved, we only added mitigation techniques to work around the issue, which isn't solution, it just reduces chance if it occuring in certain scenarios. Hence why I would never take OLED as work monitor. Gaming sure, bit even then if you play one game all the time you are likely to see UI burnin, if it is using too bright static elements.

As for whole warranty, I don't think Dell resolves any burnin issues. They knew people won't buy them if there is no warranty since they knew burnin is big issue. So long burnin warranty is likely there more as bluff in hopes that not too many people notice burnin, to help with sales. It is a gamble, but then again big corporations are known to jump on quick cash grabs without thinking about long term consequences, because it allows them to tell shareholders how they are successful today. They much more rarely go opposite and try to convince shareholders that something is good for long term. They just leave long term to be problem of whoever will be in position at that time, even if they risk it being themselves or just along the way find way to turn numbers around and hide the issue or shift blame.

jkteddy77

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
I have a release Alienware QD-Oled used Daily for 7-18 hours at 100% brightness for 11 months. Median is honestly ~14 hours, from both dayjob at home and play at night.
After about 6 months I burned in my desktop icons. My taskbar no doubt is too.
I have 3 minute screen sleep, rotating backgrounds, and have since hid my desktop icons behind my applications.
I taught myself to ignore the burn instantly, it just really helps knowing that I'll have that warranty as fallback, but I dread the hoops I'll have to jump through and the threat of a worse replacement.
Regarding the 100% brightness: I paid for the brightest Oled monitor technology; You're damn right I'm gonna use ALL of it under warranty ;)

Last edited: