News I ditched my Garmin for the Apple Watch Ultra — here’s what happened

May 1, 2022
Our fitness editor swapped her Garmin for the Apple Watch Ultra - here's what happened.

I ditched my Garmin for the Apple Watch Ultra — here’s what happened : Read more
Usually I trust Tom's Guide, but this seems to be a paid promotion / advertorial, yet not marked as such. In addition to the uncritical breathless tone, how else to explain, for example, being happy with the short battery life of the Apple watch because the author just plugs it in more often, yet describing the Garmin experience, with the better battery life, as having to sit around before a run waiting for it to charge. If only the same solution (charging overnight!) were available for non-Apple brands... 🤷🙄

For the first time I am unable to trust a Tom's Guide review. Please review your advertising policies. Surely there are rules or at least industry guidelines around transparency.

Oct 2, 2022
Testing GPS on a track with clear sky isn’t the same as a wooded trail. No power meter information for cycling or other sensors. Let alone barely getting 2 days of life. The Apple Watch is still that, a smart watch. Garmin is a fitness tracker and GPS device. Either one needs a heart strap for accurate HR tracking also. Apple has not created a Garmin killer or anything close to replacing their products for people that get outside and want a wrist navigation/fitness device.

Reactions: the_slayer
Oct 2, 2022
The article lost all credibility on the ussue of battery life. I'm all for Apple fans immersing themselves in all things Apple. It's their product of choice and we all tend to be a little one-eyed when it comes to our favourite devices. As someone else stated though, it is simply the case that this Apple Watch is a smart watch with some fitness tracking options while the Fenix and Forerunners are Fitness trackers with some smart watch functions. Oh, and the Garmin devices have weeks of battery life from one charge!

Oct 3, 2022
I have no idea what a circle is. Why does it matter? This reads more like a personal preference article.
If the author is a fan of App,e products, then so be it

Oct 6, 2022
The part about garmin not sending calories to apple health is not correct. I have an Garmin Epix 2 and it sends calories to apple health just fine.