Solved! I don't know where to start...laptop recommendation

travelerawd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
1_What is your budget?
$1000-2000, but the person buying it for me (i.e. my mom, haha) says she just wants top of the line.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Desktop replacement

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not an issue.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Somewhere in the middle. Ideally 5-7 pounds. No ultraportables. I want a disk drive. =P

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not a big issue. Enough to watch a movie, so about 3 hours would be great.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Nothing much, just Sims 3 and some Kaplan SAT/ACT/PSAT prep stuff. Can you tell I'm in high school yet?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
All of the above, with an emphasis on music and videos. I arrange music and finding primary/third party software for that is important.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I would really like to not use secondary storage.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Apple, Best Buy

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I want it to be as durable as possible. 3 years+

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
Easy virus protection?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
My less-than-two-years-old MacBook Pro just suddenly crashed and won't turn on (long story) and I'm leaving for the Genius Bar soon. Should I need a new laptop I'd like to make the right choice. Don't know whether or not that includes Mac, because I loved it. And it worked well until suddenly...!

13_What country do you live in?
USA

Solution
^Yup, agreed. Though for the Sims, you don't need all that much power. Something like an Asus G51 or Sager NP8662 fit right in the middle of your budget and have plenty of staying power.

kingtz

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
With that kind of budget, you can get some sexy hardware!

Check out:

www.sagernotebook.com
www.xoticpc.com

I, too, am looking for a notebook and those are the 2 sites referred to me by a lot of people. I'm going to buy from one of those sites.