I formatted a memory card so that it would word in my device I had to factory rest my phone and now the memory card won't work

Solution

Sounds like the card is bad then.
Stick the card in a computer card reader, run the diskpart utility and clear out the partitions on the card. After that when you put the card in the phone it should ask to be configured again. It could be that you encrypted the card, if you reset the phone, it will not work work.

This will wipe the card so make sure you have backups of the files on it.

karengunn72

Great
Feb 13, 2018

karengunn72

Great
Feb 13, 2018
I get that everyone has to formate a memory card so that the card will work with the device but what i don't get is why it won't work if u put the card in another device just because it's been formated the whole idear of having memory is so u save stuff on it in case the phone break's

Did you actually run diskpart on it? Or just tried to open it from Windows to read it? If you had the card in your phone and the card was encrypted, you can't read it in another system. But you should be able to format it on a computer clean again.

What exactly did you do to check the card on the computer?

karengunn72

Great
Feb 13, 2018
I put the memory card in the pc, then i clicked on usb drive f, then a small window pop's up saying... (u need to format the disk in drive f, it also says format it or cancel) but when i click on the X to click of it another window pops up saying...(location is not available the volume does not contain a recognized file system please make sure that all the required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted) i red something on here saying... if u format a memory card it won't delete the files do u know if that is true.

So you did not run diskpart.

Formatting technically does not wipe the data but needing to wipe it then format it again to try to get it to work will make it hard to recover anything. This procedure is pretty much to get the card working again not get data from it. If you had the card encrypted the data is gone anyway, even if you get it working again, nothing will read the data except the original phone setup.

If you want to use the card again, put it in a computer, run diskpart, type in "list disk" as the first command, note which disk number your card it, do a "select disk" command, then "clean". That will wipe all partitions off the card and you should be able to plug it into a phone and have it ask you to format it again. If the card is bad it may not work.

karengunn72

Great
Feb 13, 2018
it won't let me run the diskpart. when i put it in the pc, then click on usb drive f, a small window pops up telling me to format the memory card, it also tells me to format it, if i put it in my phone. how exactly does a memory card get corrupted, cause all i did was take it out my phone and put in the pc.

That is not how you run diskpart, diskpart is a command line utility. You don't need to click on anything. In the search field from the Start button, type in diskpart. A DOS windows will open with a DISKPART> prompt. Type in "list disk" and hit Enter, it will show you some disk numbers. One should be your SD card in the system. Type in "select disk X" where X is that disk number, hit enter. Then type in "clean" and hit enter. It will wipe all the partitions off the SD card, including anything that was encrypted or had a corrupt file system on it. Then you can start clean with creating a new partition and formatting the card. Make sure you are selecting the correct disk, if you select the wrong one it will wipe it in a second.

I asked before did you encrypt your memory card? You may not even have realized you did it but just clicked on some option you did not ready fully or maybe not understood what it would have done. If a card is encrypted, it will only work in that phone, and on the same setup of Android. When you wipe the original setup, it clears the encryption key the phone uses to unlock your card.

There is no good way to know what may have caused issues with the card when you moved it, but I am guessing here your card is fine, but it's encrypted. Running diskpart and wiping it clean should make it usable again, as a blank card.

karengunn72

Great
Feb 13, 2018
I'm not gonna get my stuff back, it was only music that i wanted to get back, but I've manage to find it again and ive now saved it on the phone memory. instead of cleaning the card in the pc would i be able to put the card in my phone and format it, also i've got another memory card a bigger one that hasn't been formatted. when i selected the options i click on use as a portable storage, but im not sure how to save stuff on it, could u help me out with this im really am greatfull for ur advice.

karengunn72

Great
Feb 13, 2018

karengunn72

Great
Feb 13, 2018