Question I fried my hp envy 17" laptop. (motherboard?, power supply?, other?, help?)

Dec 21, 2020
I have an hp envy 17" touch, bought in 2017. I also have a much older beat up hp laptop, that I needed files from. I turned it on. It fired right up, but wouldn't respond to anything(touchpad, keys, etc.), no matter how long I waited, or several restarts. I needed the files, and have a Sabrent 2.0 usb to sata/ide hard drive adapter. I took the hard drive(wd scorpio blue, 320 gb) out, and(in my stupidity) using the adapter I attempted to open the drive to copy the files I needed. I used my best computer(the envy) to do this. I have used this adapter in the past, getting files from my old tower hard drive, and the plug in was easy to get those files in minutes. (maybe one of my mistakes was the size difference between an old tower hd, and the laptop drive?) The Sabrent adapter has several sizes of plug ends. The main/middle size connected between the 2 computers normally would let the drive be opened by host, without the addition of the power(or did in the past on the larger hd). Sabrent instructions stated that normally the drive will be seen without power, but often power had to be used to see the drive. I followed connect instructions to hook up power supply. Instantly my envy went BLACK. It will do nothing when I try to turn it back on.

My question? I'm considering trying to find out how to see if the power fried the motherboard?, the power supply? suggestions?

The envy is worlds faster than the old hp g-60(workhorse in '09)computer, that I have to use now. (The ONE I should have used to open the drive), and I would enjoy attempting to fix it, if the path to figure out the solution, if it was not the motherboard, or other vital component makes it too expensive, or more trouble than it's worth?
Any suggestions on where to start? I have the tools, time, and the patience. I'm fairly Comfortable building a good tower pc (once). I know if it's the motherboard, then the envy is a spare parts computer. It will be taken apart as expanding my knowledge of hardware a little bit(as a hobby) no matter what answers I get here. I just would like to find out if it's fixable?, or whether my $1,000 computeris dust in the wind?

Thanks for any type of hope, help, honesty, and/or humor you may have in this the CRAZIEST holiday we'll EVER see in our lives, to give..

Dec 21, 2020
So the only connection you made to the Envy was via a USB port? I assume you were supplying the power to the HDD via a separate external power supply?
No. I had the sabrent device connected by usb ONLY, to attempt to view the files. The drive did not show up with only usb, which the sabrent instructions said are not unknown. Instructions then said, "when the drive can't be found using only usb, then plug supplied (by sabrent) power source into the port in the device." Instantly, black screen, and no response in latest attempts . By the way. Thanks for the quick reply

Strange. A couple of things that could happen. When the drive powered up, windows will try to install a driver for that particular device (the external adapter). If there was a system error I would have expected a blue screen (software failure). A black implies a serious hardware failure or an immediate power down. When you tried to restart, I assume everything related to the external drive was disconnected? When you try to restart, is there anything happening? Any lights? Fan starting?

Can you give my the full model number and I'll try to find a schematic to see how the USB port is hooked up. If there were wrong voltages being output onto the USB port by the adapter, I might be able to see what could have been damaged.

You may need to send your machine back to HP. They are fairly quick (in my limited experience) but not cheap. Expect them to wipe your hard drive!

Dec 21, 2020
HP Envy m7 Notebook m7-u109dx W2K88UA is what my device is registered at hp account.

It was a black moment. EVERYTHING went black instantly. I had not even had the split second to take my fingers off of the plug end. I immediately unplugged that, then the usb, and power. I waited a couple of minutes, the tried a restart. NOTHING at all happened. No lights, fan, anything.

The power adapter that I plugged in came with the sabrent device. The model # BTS34W1205 INPUT AC11OV-.50/60HZ 1A,,,, OUTPUT 12V---2A
5V---2A

The Sabrent is model USB-DSC5 USB 2.0 TO SATA/IDE HARD DRIVE ADAPTER supports 2.5" and 3.5 SATA/IDE hard drives supports 5.25" SATA/IDE CD/DVD-RW drives. Supports any drive capacity Hi-speed USB 2.0 interface Plug &Play, Hot-Swappable.
I know the Sabrent model is older, but not damaged in any way.

If it makes a difference? I had the unit plugged in the usb port on the right side. same side, as the hdmi port, and dvd player. I'm thinking that the Envy came with multi usb speeds. I'm not that concerned about the drive wipe. It was on regular backups to a wd 8tb external, so I should be okay on that. I understand about hp pricing, but I also know that when necessary, the price is worth it, but I'm not to that point yet

A surge to the USB ports can fry the motherboard. Connecting the power supply to the drive while it was connected to the system could have done this.

Unplug the battery, and the CMOS battery from the motherboard, hold in the power button for about 30 seconds. Let the system sit for a few hours, plug in the batteries and see if it turns on.

I was unable to find a schematic. That fact that you see no lights, let alone processor activity, suggests something is fried on the motherboard. Could be just a coincidence that it happened when you plugged in the adapter power but I suspect there is a connection. You might want to pitch that adapter and get a different one for future use, just in case. Look for one on Amazon that gets good reviews and avoid the really cheap stuff.

Sorry I can't offer more advice.

Dec 21, 2020
No, No. Thank You very much for your help. Sorry I haven't replied before, but chaos reigns supreme right now. I'll try these. Funny, I posted this q on microsoft comm., the day after I posted here, and haven't received 1 attempt. But again, it's not just my household in chaos. Thanks again for your help. Kindness grows

Dec 21, 2020
A surge to the USB ports can fry the motherboard. Connecting the power supply to the drive while it was connected to the system could have done this.

Unplug the battery, and the CMOS battery from the motherboard, hold in the power button for about 30 seconds. Let the system sit for a few hours, plug in the batteries and see if it turns on.
I'm writing this to you, and others who helped. I'm writing this reply from the supposedly fried computer. The unplugging both batteries, waiting, and hoping worked. I had forgotten how frustrating working on an old computer is, after the speeds possible. Thank You again. I could not afford even a fire tablet right now.