I got beer on my hp laptop. It will not turn on. How do I fix it?

Solution
If you drop liquid on any device you should never try to power the device until you are completely confident that it is dry.
You should power off, remove power cord and if removable disconnect the battery.
Failing to do so will damage your device, since liquid and electricity do not make a good combination.
You could leave it for 3-5 days in a dry warm place so the liquid drys up, evaporate, etc.
It could help to place the laptop side ways so the liquid could exit thru the sides.

jojesa

Distinguished
If you drop liquid on any device you should never try to power the device until you are completely confident that it is dry.
You should power off, remove power cord and if removable disconnect the battery.
Failing to do so will damage your device, since liquid and electricity do not make a good combination.
You could leave it for 3-5 days in a dry warm place so the liquid drys up, evaporate, etc.
It could help to place the laptop side ways so the liquid could exit thru the sides.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

Beer inside the laptop does not care about you needing it "right now".
If you've tried to power it up and it fails, it may be too late.

You, or someone, needs to actually take it apart and clean it.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Beer is 4x as electrically conductive as the cola in that video. Not only will it conduct voltage to where it does not belong when wet, after it dries it will still continue conducting varying amounts depending on the humidity. Any circuits wetted with beer should be rinsed with distilled water (which is nonconductive) and completely dried before attempting to power-on.

At this point I would suggest a beer-resistant ruggedized computer such as a Panasonic Toughbook or Dell Latitude Rugged. These things will even survive children using them in a pool, which is amazing because some other soldier-resistant equipment is specifically not warranted for "shark bite, bear attack and children under five."

jojesa

Distinguished
If this person is lucky and power was cut to the motherboard and the device refuse to power on it could be save.
After cleaning it and drying it...it could be reset and it might just work.
I have encounter HP and Dell computer boards that has some coating over the resistors and also will refuse to power on in this scenarios. Power is cut to the board to prevent damage.
Coke and beer eventually consumes the coating but water might not.
The biggest mistake people make, which I never understood, is trying to power on a wet device to see if it works and that's when they usually kill the device.