i have a Hp pavilion gaming laptop.

Sep 23, 2018
the specs are

i5- 8300h
gtx 150 ti 2gb
8gb ram

i play alot of fortnite and yesterday i was playing for maybe 3-4 hours and i check my temprature of my cpu and hdo and they were about 90 degrees celsuis. should i be worried? should i buy a new one or get a cooling fan? i have read some post that says that cooling fans are a good investment and other that says theire useless and that a gaming laptop should take 90 degrees on ez but others say that im literally boiling my laptop. what should i do?-

Solution
90C is pretty normal for a gaming laptop under load. You can get some high quality cooling paste and use that on the heatsinks, also make sure nothing is blocking vents when you use the laptop and they are clean along with the fan(s). Trying a cooling pad won't hurt thing, just get it from a palace with a good return policy like Amazon so if it does nothing for you you can return it.
90C is pretty normal for a gaming laptop under load. You can get some high quality cooling paste and use that on the heatsinks, also make sure nothing is blocking vents when you use the laptop and they are clean along with the fan(s). Trying a cooling pad won't hurt thing, just get it from a palace with a good return policy like Amazon so if it does nothing for you you can return it.

Solution

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from frerik128 : "should i buy a new laptop because it gets overheated"

get used to laptops overheating when hard and long gaming sessions are normal. You would be better served with a properly cooled mid-tower pc for your gaming needs. your new one will get plenty hot as well.

use HWMonitor to see what the temps are, 40C sounds high, use Resource Monitor to see what is running on the CPU and such

MERGED QUESTION
Question from frerik128 : "should i get a new gaming laptop just because the gpu overheats"

Laptops are notorious for heat problems.

They really aren't designed for gaming....even when you see one advertised that way....because the better the gaming hardware you put in there....the more likely it is you will see heat problems.

As far as your situation....you can throttle your video card with Afterburner but that will affect your performance.

If I was going to go with a different system....I would go with a DESKTOP with a large case. This way....you probably won't have heat problems and if you do you can control it MUCH easier.

Aug 21, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from frerik128 : "my gpu gets very hot"

if the laptop is on warranty,the best thing to do is to contact the manufacturers tech support or RMA it to them as opening the laptop to redo the thermal paste will void the warranty.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from frerik128 : "am i damegingmy cpu and gpu if it goes over 93C and play for an hour or two"

Impossible to say how much you could be reducing the lifespan.

Return what? Is this something you built yourself, a pre-built desktop, a laptop? How long have you had it, and has it always run this hot? What CPU/GPU? What CPU cooler? What is ambient temperature in the room?

jojesa

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from frerik128 : "my gpu and cpu are hotter than the sun"

I wish I could give you better news, but that's how laptops are when play games. It is hard to cool and dissipate heat on a small enclosure.
Your CPU and GPU will throttle, if they're close to unsafe temps, to cool themselves down.
You could try increasing fan speed while gaming or use a Laptop Fan Cooler or as a previously mention... a cooling pad

[/quotemsg]

howdo i increase fan speed on a hp pavilion gaming laptop 15-cx0xxx?[/quotemsg]

[/quotemsg]

Unfortunately, your laptop model does not have any fan controls.
You might need to consider the other options.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from frerik128 : "should i be worried"

Sep 23, 2018

this is a gaming laptop na i have had it for a month now

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from frerik128 : "is 95C on the gpu and the cores normal while gaming and if so am i dameging it?"

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
I have kootek cooling from here : https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers
It only ships from usa. Reduced around -5 to -10celsius on cpu and gpu.

Best thing is to change thermal paste (liquid metal is best but not always necressary) and check that fan is working well and there is no dirt around. This voids warranty ofcourse.

You can also dissipate the heat from the motherboard graphics card / processor and other heatspots into back or front case with thermal pads like in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLJGeNlzYQ (around 30mins you see what im talking about)
Ive had -10 celsius on macbooks with this method but its abit harder to do on HP laptop because you need to test more and disassemblying takes time.