I have Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 5100 can I upgrade to Windows 7?

Solution
go to Dell website. And in support section search for drivers. If you will find section with Your laptops name marked as windows7 than You're lucky.
The msot important is wireless network driver(unless you use LAN cable to connect to internet what I would recommend just to start off and see if it works) later windows 7 might download its own drivers. so internet connection is most important.
In worst case You can buy cheap usb wireless dongle.

Plan:
1. before installing windows search for drivers onto dells website(avoid other websites as it diverts to viruses fake drivers)
2. install windows.
3. connect to internet (try wifi. no wifi? try LAN cable and plug it to Your router. no lan driver try cheap usb wifi with drivers on CD.

or...

ficler1977

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
go to Dell website. And in support section search for drivers. If you will find section with Your laptops name marked as windows7 than You're lucky.
The msot important is wireless network driver(unless you use LAN cable to connect to internet what I would recommend just to start off and see if it works) later windows 7 might download its own drivers. so internet connection is most important.
In worst case You can buy cheap usb wireless dongle.

Plan:
1. before installing windows search for drivers onto dells website(avoid other websites as it diverts to viruses fake drivers)
2. install windows.
3. connect to internet (try wifi. no wifi? try LAN cable and plug it to Your router. no lan driver try cheap usb wifi with drivers on CD.

or other way. if you have any other unused hard drive. copy your windwos 7 to other drive as it is there. take old hard drive out. put new one(with copied files in) ant than try upgrading. in worst case You can still use Your old system without risking anything.

good luck

Solution