I just spent my first year with an electric car — here’s the pros and cons

Dec 25, 2021
I would love to have an electric car. They just aren’t economically priced yet. The extra money spent on electric over a comparable IC model will buy a LOT of gasoline. And the fewer miles you drive every year the more that equation favors the IC car. Even assuming a zero cost for electricity. The day IC and electric are the same price off the lot I will buy one.

djrobsd

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I would love to have an electric car. They just aren’t economically priced yet. The extra money spent on electric over a comparable IC model will buy a LOT of gasoline. And the fewer miles you drive every year the more that equation favors the IC car. Even assuming a zero cost for electricity. The day IC and electric are the same price off the lot I will buy one.

Before we had all the shortages of used cars, there were actually some REALLY good options for commuter cars at the used car lots, i.e. you could get a Nissan Leaf or a Ford Focus electric with 100 mile range for under 10 grand.

The price is definitely a barrier for a lot of people, but with mass production of batteries coming online here in the USA, the prices will drop. Tesla wants to make a 20k electric car and it won't be too far off.

With that said, there are some brands that still offer you the $7500 tax credit, which can completely wipe out the difference between an electric and an IC model. Unfortunately, for Tesla and Chevy that ship has sailed!