I just tried Shell’s EV charging hub — and it's not the future I want

Jan 30, 2022
If I'm reading this correctly, this article is based on experience charging one time at one single Shell charging station?

I've charged at a few dozen Tesla superchargers a hundred times, across the US West, Central, and Eastern regions. One thing I've often wished for was more of a gas station like option, to get and leave beverages, etc... Newer Tesla stations seem to tend towards being better about this, but especially in 2017-2019 it was easy to be stuck for a 45 minute charge in the middle of a closed shopping center with nowhere to go.

The Shell setup you describe sounds like exactly the sort of Supercharger I like the most these days.

This is largely for long distance travel, FYI.

Jan 30, 2022
Why is it a surprise that Shell and BP are getting in to the electric car charging station business? For decades they have sold a product worth trillions of dollars worldwide aided by government subsidies. Now governments around the world are pushing trillion dollar agendas on electric vehicles and offering subsidies. Why wouldn't they get on board with that?

Reactions: Kickasskingy
Jan 30, 2022
Chargers need tire spikes similar to car rental exit lanes to lift under vehicle 5 minutes after vehicle parks there unless charging has been initiated. Spikes retract after paying for charging or a $20 parking fee (fine). "Parking fee" (fine) triples after 3 hours or other appropriate timeframe.

Jan 30, 2022
Until batteries aren't 100 times less energy dense than gas, and their internal resistance very high, overweight BEVs will consume more energy and take much longer to refill.

Jan 31, 2022
Shell's EV charging hub is the electric equivalent of a gas station, but I'm not too thrilled by the concept.

I just tried Shell’s EV charging hub — and it's not the future I want : Read more
O find it interesting that people use DC chargers to fill up their EVs on a routine basis in the UK. In the US they are really only used for out of town road trips. They are usually located near Interstate exits, frequently in the parking lots of Target or Walmart. It typically cost 3 times as much to charge at a fast charger than it does at home using 220v.
One thing that the fast chargers could really use in Florida and most of the South is the canopy, almost all gas stations have them and between blazing sun and downpours it is almost a necessity.
The author n÷ds to make a trip to the Southeast and check out a Buckey's, it will blow his mind! Now there is a place that could instal a couple of dozen DC chargers and would be an easy place to spend 1/2 an hour charging

Jan 31, 2022
This article isn’t fairly written. While I agree charging hubs aren’t ideal they are the only solution to ultra charger access without digging up all the residential roads to “bring the chargers to the people”. It just reads like another EV doomsayer.

As others have said these hubs are designed as a quick charge solution when you get caught short or on a long journey. Yes they are expensive but you are paying for the convenience. As they become more competitive prices will fall. When these hubs are at every motorway station I will have no need to ever use my ICE car for longer journeys.

There are also aspects of this article that seem to criticise an oil company for trying to think about their future effect in the planet with solar panels and glued timber - positive changes to practice should be commended to encourage repeats.

Jan 31, 2022
Chargers need tire spikes similar to car rental exit lanes to lift under vehicle 5 minutes after vehicle parks there unless charging has been initiated. Spikes retract after paying for charging or a $20 parking fee (fine). "Parking fee" (fine) triples after 3 hours or other appropriate timeframe.
Why? It sounds like a nice little shop. Is it a private club?

Jan 31, 2022
Sounds like they're complaining (and rightfully so) about combustion engine only vehicles parking in EV only parking spots.

-Wolf sends
Huh, I didn't know it was illegal (I just looked it up and saw that it is in some areas). If those were the only parking spots, I'd have parked there. I've parked in front of a gas pump without using it.

My local grocery store has the following:

12 Handicap parking spaces.
4 Electric Vehicle parking spaces.
3 Expectant Mother parking spaces.
1 Superhero (Police/Fire/Veteran) parking space.

Handicap parking spaces are a known quantity. If you park there, you must either have a handicap license plate or a sign signifying that you are allowed to park there.

My take (and perhaps only mine) is that the rest of these spots are like handicap spaces, designated only for those that can use/deserve them. As a military vet, I enjoy being able to park in my own designated space (even if it's not the most convenient). I would expect (and again, only my opinion here) that others should respect these designated spots and leave them available for those who can or need to use them. I'd call it "common courtesy", but maybe I'm just old fashioned.

-Wolf sends

Jan 31, 2022
All due respect Tom you complaining that it's not convenient for you to drive from Reading isn't a valid argument as it's in a perfect surburban location. I do agree it's VERY expensive and I've already complained to Shell. The Tritium chargers are unnecessarily complicated to use and the app SUCKS. Thankfully I do have a Shell/New Motion RFID card but I needed the staff to show me how to use it after failing the first time. I also pointed out this place should be open 24/7 but apparently the residents in the expensive mansion block next door took umbrage. Despite the relative silence of electric cars recharging!

I also pointed out this place should be open 24/7 but apparently the residents in the expensive mansion block next door took umbrage. Despite the relative silence of electric cars recharging!
Based on my own experience with zoning practices, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the automotive traffic or the noise level of having the station run 24/7. However, if the station was available 24/7, the lights would also need to be on 24/7. Based on that argument, we successfully lobbied against having a car dealership developed next to our property complex.

-Wolf sends

Jan 31, 2022
Sounds like they're complaining (and rightfully so) about combustion engine only vehicles parking in EV only parking spots.

-Wolf sends
Unfortunately here in Florida I have seen Tesla's sitting in charging spots for hours not even plugged in. And they weren't even Tesla Superchargers!

Feb 1, 2022
If I'm reading this correctly, this article is based on experience charging one time at one single Shell charging station?

I've charged at a few dozen Tesla superchargers a hundred times, across the US West, Central, and Eastern regions. One thing I've often wished for was more of a gas station like option, to get and leave beverages, etc... Newer Tesla stations seem to tend towards being better about this, but especially in 2017-2019 it was easy to be stuck for a 45 minute charge in the middle of a closed shopping center with nowhere to go.

The Shell setup you describe sounds like exactly the sort of Supercharger I like the most these days.

This is largely for long distance travel, FYI.
The ideal solution is to have chargers at a wide variety of places people will spend time: roadside attractions, restaurants, malls, etc. Replicating gas stations is inertia, accepting something because it has been that way for some time. That is really the point the article is trying to make, it seems.
Of course, as you mention with long distance travel, the problem we run into is the time between now and widespread charging options, during which people on road trips want locations they know they can charge. Something like a gas station or a truck stop increases the likelihood of an available and working charger while still offering something beyond just charging, though we could do much better about putting such stations in areas that have more options in walking distance.
Eventually, one would hope that the ease of installing chargers (vs underground tanks) will mean you don't need to plan around chargers, just plug in wherever you stop for food, rest, etc. Until then, I don't mind seeing these articles to remind us not to settle for replicating gas stations, even if it is a good choice for now.