i lost my laptop should in know my laptop serial number by using my internet ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Back up a bit here, even if you could do that, how do you know what the IP address of the laptop is now? Even if you wrote it down when you were using it, it won't be the same as it is now. The IP address is assigned dynamically every time you connect the laptop to a network (outside of some rare cases when you setup a static IP on it), you can't get any information at all about the system by just the IP address, unless you can use that to remote into the system or had some management tools that can connect to the system. But for any of that to work you need to know not only the current IP of the system but also have it be available to connect from...

utroz

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
No it doesn't work like that at all. If you knew the MAC address you might be able to ping it and locate your laptop if it is connected to the internet. Also do you have remote access enabled? If so and it is connected to the internet with the MAC address you might be able to remotely connect to it (or if you have VNC or other similar software installed). Also why on earth did you not have it already have all your serial info in a safe place? Some computers have theft trace tech on them as well so it will depend on your exact laptop..

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

In the case of Dell or other major manufacturers if you registered the laptop when new they may well have the model & serial number and specification available probably linked to your email address (used when registering)

Is this info for insurance purposes or to file a police report or to try and trace the laptop if it goes on the internet
In most cases the Internet IP address is issued by the router.

Unless you have Prey or similar tracking software installed and the laptop operating system is not re installed you have little chance of tracing it over the internet.

regards
Mike Barnes

Back up a bit here, even if you could do that, how do you know what the IP address of the laptop is now? Even if you wrote it down when you were using it, it won't be the same as it is now. The IP address is assigned dynamically every time you connect the laptop to a network (outside of some rare cases when you setup a static IP on it), you can't get any information at all about the system by just the IP address, unless you can use that to remote into the system or had some management tools that can connect to the system. But for any of that to work you need to know not only the current IP of the system but also have it be available to connect from the internet.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.