i need a laptop for college 1000$ budget

livne21

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
1. What is your budget?
1000$

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
not huge, but not too small (medium size)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
the bigger the better, screen size

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
balance

5. How much battery life do you need?
good battary life

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
well, yes but not hardcore games, cause the budget is small,(best games for budget...)
low - medium games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
watch 1080p movies, simple photoshop...

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
i think 1TB, but less is ok if neccesery

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
you can give me the module of the laptop, i will look for it on the network..
and find where to buy it...maybe ebay...

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
maybe 6-7 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
u know better...but dont suggest me small companys the no one knows

13. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
i want a good graphic card, and prefer i7 CPU, but if neccesery for budget i5 is okay too.
basicly this laptop is for surf the web, watch 1080P movies, play medium games, and good multi-tasking.

thank you in advance! :)

Solution
I'd recommend something like the Lenovo Y510p. There are several models, but all come with Haswell i7, 15.6" HD screen, GTX 750m with 2GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD (a couple models come with a cache SSD too), DVD drive, etc. Three of there models fall under $1000.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

Cheers

ACTechy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I'd recommend something like the Lenovo Y510p. There are several models, but all come with Haswell i7, 15.6" HD screen, GTX 750m with 2GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD (a couple models come with a cache SSD too), DVD drive, etc. Three of there models fall under $1000.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

Cheers

Solution

livne21

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
first thank you for helping...
so u 2 posted your suggestions...and i find these 2 in comparsion:
IdeaPad Y510p vs ASUS G75VW-NH71
what are the main differences?
and any other laptop suggestion will be awsome... btw

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

The Asus G75 is the most powerful of all that have been recommended, but it is also the heaviest, largest, most expensive, least portable. I'd recommend it for a semi-portable desktop replacement. It is the most upgradable in terms of hard drive, RAM. If you are generally going to keep it on a desk and transport it in a regular backpack. If you need something comfortable to travel with regularlly or use in your lap often, this isn't the best choice. It may get warm and also the weight gets annoying. I think it will last longest but it will always get one up'd by the size of new ultrabooks. Battery life can go either way. Using the GPU in games and Photoshop will kill it quicker than the other laptops but doing regular video watching, surfing and all less intensive work, the battery will stand above the others.

In conclusion the laptop will basically near max out games on an elegant 1080p 17" screen, kick butt at multitasking and stay relevant for a couple years. All of this comes at the cost of size and weight. You make the call.

challenger15

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

Why would SLI setups in laptops be considered a downer? The ultrabay in the y510p can be easily swapped for the dvd drive if you are not playing games. Two 750m's can deliver a better performance than the 670m from what I heard, making the y510p a very good buy for the budget.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Well power consumption leads to loss of battery life and drivers for Sli setups can be tricky sometimes. Also the lack of a drive isn't a deal breaker but still a downside. It is of tremendous value but why do you think more people bought a titan than a 690, Single chip performance. One good chip is better than two medium chips even if they beat it in performance IMO. It's ultimately up to the buyer but a 670mx is good enough for most gamers while maintaining lower power levels and heat. I find it easier to use a single card in media programs and motion graphics as well. And it would suck to need the graphics capability of more than one 750, but less than 2, you're wasting power.

To each their own opinion. Please go ahead and correct me here. I'm open and won't get offended. :) Thanks, Cheers.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

My point was that a 670 offers a median performance between one and two 750m's so that no power is wasted when you require more powerthan one but less than 2 750 chips

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

That's the card in the Asus Gaming Notebook I recommended, and it has better battery life than 2 750s. LISTEN to my point If you need more power than a 750, but don't want to waste battery on an SLI setup, a 670MX has median/Upper quartile performance.