I need a laptop for my boss

xManic

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Hi.

Please let me start by saying thank you to to community here. I have lurked here many times over the years for solutions to various things. Hoping for a good solution here.

My boss (and cousin) recently handed me his laptop (HP Pavilion M6-1045dx) with a sad face. Narrowed it down to a bad hdd. Already has a bad battery plus its over 6 years old and running Win 7 (I prefer it to 10 but Im a gamer and this is for business). I decided a new laptop was a better choice than a new hdd (or ssd like I want) and a new battery. And because I am an enthusiast (high level novice) and he is family I want to bring him into 2017 with something nice without breaking him. Most intensive programs he runs are spreadsheets, Excel, and shipping database apps. So, what I would like at minimum is:

CPU: Intel, Intel, Intel! Kaby/Skylake for the latest and greatest.
Memory: 8gb to compliment the IGPU and for running multiple programs related to our business.
Storage: SSD. 250/500gb and I'm partial to Samsung.
GPU: None. IGPU is fine. No gaming, netflix redacted at most.
Optical: CD ROM because he's old and out of touch.
Price: $700ish. Yes he owns his own business but we're still pretty small.

Now, if I need to install an SSD myself and install Windows that is something I can easily do. I am just trying to steer him away from future mechanical drive failure. I would also like some of the options from the Pavilion such as HDMI out, SD slot, and decent speakers.

Thank you in advance :)

Edit: I am now considering the Thinkpad 13 (2017) with the 256gb SSD option. Any advice on the CPU choice tho?

This is a family friendly site. Watch what you post!
Lutfij

xManic

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Sorry about that. I am located in the midwest, USA. And it doesnt really mattter where I purchase from so long as it gets delivered soon. The Thinkpad 13 I was looking at is available with options thru the Lenovo website so if I were to get that one that's more than likely where Id order from.