I need a laptop for school!

lannmann

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I was thinking about getting a gaming laptop, but I've decided to upgrade my desktop instead, and buy a less expensive laptop for school. I know a fair bit about gaming components, but when it comes to laptops I'm pretty useless. I need something that can last most of my day at school without needing a charge, and that fits my budget. All suggestions are welcome!

1_What is your budget? around $800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? doesnt really matter

3_What screen resolution do you want? the larger the better

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5_How much battery life do you need? as much as possible, or the option of getting a second battery

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I'd love to be able to play some games, but its probably not possible with my budget.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Writing up notes in school, playing music, watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? any size will do, because I'm planning on getting a portable harddrive.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. HP, ASUS

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as possible.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? doesn't matter

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. doesn't matter

13_What country do you live in? Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
does anyone have any info on a good portable harddrive and a decent wireless mouse?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
Yes,a 17" laptop doesn't have a battery life like 13" models.
Between those, go with the second one because of having a faster CPU.
It also has a GT 310M which performs much better than Intel 4500MHD but its still considered a low-end card for gaming.
Yes,a 17" laptop doesn't have a battery life like 13" models.
Between those, go with the second one because of having a faster CPU.
It also has a GT 310M which performs much better than Intel 4500MHD but its still considered a low-end card for gaming.

Solution