Question I need a new powerhouse

Jul 6, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a new powerhouse laptop. I have absolutely enjoyed the journey with my most recent laptop that I have had it for 5 years and even till today it is considered a powerhouse but after 3 years I typically change my laptops... This has served me well but I am ready to move on. This is what I have had:
Eluktronics P650RG-G Gaming Laptop
ntel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 + G-SYNC
15.6" Full HD IPS Display
1TB Performance SSD
64GB Memory

.... now. I know everything got expensive since then, especially memory... but!

I am looking for something that has 128GB memory. I know that with this decision I seriously have to "up my budget".

Of course to suggest what I should get you should know what I use my laptop for: it is NOT gaming! However, I use memory like nobody's business (the way I browse is typically with about 50 tabs open in my browser), hence my request. But the rest I have no clue what would be enough, what would be excessive. I am not looking to spend more than what I absolutely should.

I need something that comes with:
  • 128GB memory (for sure!)
  • Win 11 Home or Pro (preferably Pro)
  • Extremely powerful CPU (for multitasking)
  • Prefer 15.6" so that I don't have to buy a new laptop bag but if I have to then oh well
  • Brand: Preferably MSI (love it), Clevo or any other one (not a Dell fan and HP has always overheated after a while any model I had).
Looking to spend in the neighborhood of $3,000-$3,500 (reasonable?)

Please send some links to my way on how to accomplish that. Thank you for your suggestion in advance!

MSI is fine, I have one and they are good. Since the amount of memory you want is very high for a normal system you basically can just search for a laptop that comes with that much memory and go from there. There will not be many of them outside of workstation class systems. Lenovo is a good one, I like them better than most others. Getting them to be close to $3000 may be impossible though unless you buy a used one. I did a few searches and all were very close to or over $4,000.

Have you checked the RAM usage of your system to see if you are maxing it out even with 64 GB?

Jul 6, 2022
Hi @hang-the-9 ! Thank you very much for your response.

That was exactly my issue with the 128GB memory.... they don't make them sexy (Dell workstations typically) and when they do they cost like $5-$6k.

BUT.... you DID raise a fantastic point. I took a look at what happens when my computer is on fully load mode.... and your question is now pointing me to the right direction. The memory usage never reaches even 40%.... SO! Your point was fantastic and thank you! The CPU however DOES max out at 100% many times!

Therefore... I need to take a different shopping approach. Keeping memory at 64GB is the correct answer but picking one with a better CPU is vital.

Any suggestions on that? (and again THANKS!)

Jul 6, 2022
OK.... I ended up just giving in.... and got an MSI GT77 Titan 12UGS-008 with 128GB memory, Win 11 Pro, i9-12900HX 8-core CPU, 2GB NVMe SSD storage... the works...

... after I saw their product page, I knew I wasn't going to go back even though I found Lenovo laptops with 128GB memory (but 10th gen intel i7s) for only $3.5k.

I have read a lot about comparisons between i7 vs. i9 as well as 10th gen intel vs. 12th gen so I know this will be a superpower laptop for the next 4-5 years easy!

But seriously, isn't this just pure beauty?
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Titan-GT77-12UX

OK.... I ended up just giving in.... and got an MSI GT77 Titan 12UGS-008 with 128GB memory, Win 11 Pro, i9-12900HX 8-core CPU, 2GB NVMe SSD storage... the works...

... after I saw their product page, I knew I wasn't going to go back even though I found Lenovo laptops with 128GB memory (but 10th gen intel i7s) for only $3.5k.

I have read a lot about comparisons between i7 vs. i9 as well as 10th gen intel vs. 12th gen so I know this will be a superpower laptop for the next 4-5 years easy!

But seriously, isn't this just pure beauty?
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Titan-GT77-12UX

I'm a fan of not buying high end laptops in general, they are a lot more fragile and prone to issues than desktops, yet cost more and are harder to fix. Motherboard and video card failures are way more common in laptops due to the space restrictions for engineering and cooling, plus the general stress of moving the thing around causing micro fractures in the components that can lead to intermittent issues. My MSI with a i7, 16 gb of RAM and a 1650Ti card cost me $200 cash and a trade for a $200 value laptop I had already. For a high end system with a one year warranty, bit too much of a risk to spend much over $1,000 one unless absolutely needed to be mobile. Web browsing, etc...

Plus for non-gaming use, the high end video card would be a huge waste of money unless used for hardware encoding or processing of data. That is the advantage of business class and workstation laptops, they put the cost towards sturdier builds and CPU/RAM and not the video card, aside from the models made for CAD and data processing where they use special cards and drivers.

On the higher end of things for data use, this would be much better https://xoticpc.com/collections/professional-series-laptops/products/msi-creatorpro-m16-a12ujs-458 Without gaming use that would need a fast video card and more storage that is more than enough for any normal use case. This one is like $1,500 with 65 GB of RAM added https://xoticpc.com/collections/optimal-series-gaming-laptops/products/sager-np7880j-clevo-np70pnj

Last edited:

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I am looking for something that has 128GB memory. I know that with this decision I seriously have to "up my budget".

ZBook 17 G6. Has 4 DDR4 slots and the Xeon versions can address up to 256GB of RAM. The newer ZBook Fury 17 G8 can theoretically address up to 512GB but there are not 128GB SODIMMs yet

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c06409806

I'm a fan of not buying high end laptops in general, they are a lot more fragile and prone to issues than desktops,

You've clearly not seen a ZBook or an EliteBook, the 8540W was built to milspec 810G.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-810