Question I need a wall switch to control my wifi light bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2021
I have six ceiling lights in my tv room that we control with an amazon echo (alexa). I hard-wired the wall switches so the bulbs always have power. Alexa wouldn't work very well if the bulbs had no power.

But many people try to use the wall switches to control the lights. I need new wall switches that use wifi to control the bulbs. The switch can talk directly to the bulbs or to the cloud like our cellphones do (using Smart Life). I've googled till my eyes glaze over. I can only find wall switches that control matching power sockets etc.

I've also seen many rf transmitters. I'm a computer geek and I'd be happy add a receiver to my linux pc but I can't find anything like that either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bevhoward

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
With most wifi bulbs, turning a wall switch off, then on will turn the lights ON that will normally cover people walking into a dark room.

Perhaps a placard "SAY 'Alexa, turn OFF TV Lights" would help.

A NC momentary contact switch which would allow turning lights on but not off.

That said, there are also dimmable WIFI wall switches such as (Feit from Costco) that would offer both wifi and switch control... the only downside is while they dim, switches can't control things such as color or individual bulb schedules.

HTH,
Beverly Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.