I Need Help Choosing Between LG and Vizio for 4K Purchase

mike00mike

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi there. I was hoping to get some input regarding these two 4K TV models. Any advice or opinion is completely welcome.

Vizio: http://www.vizio.com/m50c1.html

LG: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-49UF6700-uhd-led-tv

Im looking to spend $600-$700 on a new 4K television, and am purchasing through Amazon Prime.
It has been a roller coaster deciding what to purchase. First, I was worried about getting a TV that is 120hz Native, vs brands that have fake 120hz and call it 120 "effective" etc. So I have read, that it really doesn't matter unless your are watching sports, and I don't watch sports too often.

I definitely want one with good upscaling. I also have read somewhere that the LG is "passive 3D" or can be converted from 2D to 3D, but when I called LG they said that was not true. The concept is great, but I haven't found one in my price range.

Any information would really help me out. Thanks.

Solution
1. If it says 120 Hz TruMotion, then yes, it's a 60 Hz native panel. If it says 240 Hz motionblabla (manufacturers name it different), it means it's a native 120 Hz panel.

2. For the most part, no. It's mainly just marketing, because they can and do intentionally cripple lower end TV's regardless. They are also referring to a TV's smart functionality and speed when marketing.

3. You will have much better uniformity using LED backlights rather than edge lights, because you have more control over uniformity, as well as local dimming works like a charm, with as many zones as they want, further increasing contrast.

4. Perhaps the X850C by Sony. I haven't really researched this. The HDR standard is not yet finalised, they only promise...
Hello,

Back on the rollercoaster you go! :p

120 Hz does matter. Watching a blu ray on a 60 Hz vs 120 Hz display is night and day. During gaming you also get much less ghosting due to the faster pixel times. Interpolation however, is for sports, not movies.

If you have any questions, we can answer them one by one. My advise though, is to wait until we have actual 4k content available on the market. Streaming is equivalent to current blu-ray, to give you an idea of how much is really missing. Gaming can be done natively though, which is pretty cool, but very, very demanding.

You may want to read up on the different panel types. IPS and VA, both have pros and cons. You have a long way to go, if you really want a TV that suits your needs, rather than just buying a new TV and call it a day.

All the best!

mike00mike

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Thanks so much for the reply. . Here are some questions.

1. So in your opinion, when lets say "LG" markets the TV as 120hz TrueMotion, does that mean it's really 60hz and the TV's processors make it 120hz equivalent? Is it beneficial for me to find a 4K TV that is 120 native?

2. Does processor power make a difference? Example, a Quad Core vs. Six Core processor

3. Is "Edge lit" as important as "backlight"

4. Is it possible to find an affordable 4K tv ($500-$700 range) that has HDR capability?

5. Is it important to have a 60hz HDMI port vs. a 30hz?

6. What are the benefits, if any, are there for a glass display vs. plexiglass?

7. From what I read an IPS panel being beneficial for professional graphics artists/designers, and a VA for gaming. If I mainly just use the TV for watching movies and tv series, will it make a difference if I buy a TV without these features? (in general)

8. If you had to pick between the Vizio M50-C1 and the LG LG 49UF6700
which would it be? From what I read, it seems the Vizio has better reviews, but I feel like my brain is in a loop and am not sure at this point. Thanks again for your help.

--sorry for bombarding you.

1. If it says 120 Hz TruMotion, then yes, it's a 60 Hz native panel. If it says 240 Hz motionblabla (manufacturers name it different), it means it's a native 120 Hz panel.

2. For the most part, no. It's mainly just marketing, because they can and do intentionally cripple lower end TV's regardless. They are also referring to a TV's smart functionality and speed when marketing.

3. You will have much better uniformity using LED backlights rather than edge lights, because you have more control over uniformity, as well as local dimming works like a charm, with as many zones as they want, further increasing contrast.

4. Perhaps the X850C by Sony. I haven't really researched this. The HDR standard is not yet finalised, they only promise content from streaming. Though it seems to be HDMI 2.0a required, as well as HDCP 2.2 to even get a picture when watching 4k content. I will educate myself once 4k is actually relevant, right now it isn't.

5. Yes, HDMI 2.0 is required for 4k 60 Hz. HDMI 1.4 will output 4k 30 Hz, and won't change. Color resolution is equally as important. For use with PC's, look for a color resolution of 4:4:4. Also known as Chroma 4:4:4, or subsampling.

6. None, unless you feel like you're going to be bumping it a lot, and hard.

7. You can't buy a TV without one of the two. You have to choose, which is why I recommended reading up on the difference between VA and IPS. VA produces deeper blacks, about equal color, slightly poor viewing angles, and use Active 3D. IPS produces grey blacks (with the exception of a few IPS TV's with local dimming), great colors, great viewing angles, use Passive 3D.

8. The Vizio is using a VA panel, and the LG an IPS. The Vizio is the better entertainment TV, the LG is the best 'typical' bright living room environment TV. I watch a lot of movies and play games in dimly lit to dark rooms, and so the Vizio is an obvious choice for me personally.

Solution

mike00mike

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Thanks to you, I finally made a decision that I am fairly confident in. I went with the Vizio M50-C1. It came with a discount for prime members, plus I found out the remote actually has a full backlight keyboard!!! I have been trying to find a reliable remote with a full backlight keyboard for so long. (unsuccessfully)

I previously used the Sony Google TV NSZ-GS7, and the remote was and is the best one on the market. (my opinion) I have yet to find a remote that doesn't fail in comparison.

Anyways, thank so much. I really appreciate your help.