Philips 43PUS6162 vs LG 43UJ630V [4K SmartTV]

Nervly

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Good evening, everyone!

I'll be buying a 43" 4K SmartTV within the next week and as such, I've been doing some research to make sure I get the best product within my budget, which is 500€ ($596).
From all the televisions available to me, the two that stood out the most were the Philips 43PUS6162 and the LG 43UJ630V. Here's the reasons why:

- Both are 4K, obviously
- Both carry HDR technology
- Both carry IPS displays
- Both bring 3x HDMI/2x USB slots
- Both run at 60Hz

Now the reasons why I'm indecisive are:

- While both carry HDR, LG's the standard HDR10 whereas Philips' is HDR10+. I did some research on both and it appeared to me that HDR10+ is the better one as it was created to rival Dolby Vision. I would however appreciate some input on this so I can know for sure what this technology consists of and if it is worth it.
- The LG includes 4K Upscaling, whereas the Philips does not. However, as mentioned above, Philips brings HDR10+ and LG brings HDR10. Is it a worthy tradeoff? Is it a noticeable and good-looking difference? I tried watching some YouTube videos showing it off but it's not very perceptible.
- According to my research, the Philips audio system supports Clear Sound, whereas the LG supports Ultra Surround. Is there much of a difference? Is it noticeable?
- While being a minor thing, the Philips seems to support a wide variety of image formats, including PNG and GIF, where as the LG only supports JPEG, MPO and JPS. Does this mean there is no way whatsoever to open, say, PNG files on the LG? Can it become annoying in some situations?
- Finally, the operative system. The Philips seems to be running AndroidTV, the LG runs WebOS 3.5. I did some research on both and realized AndroidTV is alot more future proof and focuses a bit more on gaming and a few other interesting apps by giving you access to Google Play. The fact that you can also connect your Smartphone to the TV to stream videos and music from, is also a pretty appealing idea. It seems to have a collection of 4K movies ready to watch too. The only downside is that the interface covers the whole screen, hiding whatever is playing on TV at that moment, which isn't the biggest deal to me. The WebOS 3.5 seems to have a very user-friendly and fast interface that doesn't cover the whole screen and thus not hiding the content. It appeared to have some games too but I got the impression it doesn't focus on that side as much as AndroidTV. It also seems to have a nice collection of 4K movies ready to watch and some interesting settings. However, it felt like it didn't include some of the interesting features AndroidTV offers.

This is one of the websites I used to compare the two: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/1cb31d827
Here are a few more details about the two TVs (included in the link above)

k0t5dy.jpg

With that said, at the moment, I'm more inclined towards getting the Philips TV but I still want to make sure I'm well informed before proceeding with the purchase. The price of both TVs isn't a hindrance seeing as they're just 10€ apart, making the aforementioned points my only concern.

Thank you for your time!

Solution
Great.
Just a WARNING about Amazon reviews; they often have SIMILAR items mixed up whether it's TV's, movies or whatever. It's been going on for YEARS and it's baffling to me how they can screw it up so badly.

For example, you might look up an HDTV and think the comments make sense only to see a reference to a 55" when it's a 65" model, or look at a BluRay TV set only to see mention of a different DVD-VIDEO collection of the same series.

OTHER:
BTW, in the future when you have more money you may want to consider getting a good Speaker bar unit that utilized the ARC input, possibly one with a Bluetooth connection that can utilize another device aside from the HDTV (to act as a home theater unit).

Nervly

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Good evening! Apologies for the late answer.
Thank you for your advice, I looked up some customer reviews on Amazon and it greatly helped me decide.
Ended up getting the LG and I'm very satisfied with it.

Thank you!

Great.
Just a WARNING about Amazon reviews; they often have SIMILAR items mixed up whether it's TV's, movies or whatever. It's been going on for YEARS and it's baffling to me how they can screw it up so badly.

For example, you might look up an HDTV and think the comments make sense only to see a reference to a 55" when it's a 65" model, or look at a BluRay TV set only to see mention of a different DVD-VIDEO collection of the same series.

OTHER:
BTW, in the future when you have more money you may want to consider getting a good Speaker bar unit that utilized the ARC input, possibly one with a Bluetooth connection that can utilize another device aside from the HDTV (to act as a home theater unit).

Solution