Question Using wired headphone on TV without 3.5 mm jack

Jun 29, 2023
Is there some way to use a WIRED headphone on a TV that lacks a 3.5 mm audio jack, AND also use that TV's remote to control the sound volume, including muting?
When I bought a new LG 32LM577 TV, I knew it had no 3.5 mm audio jack. I strongly prefer wired headphones for TV (lightweight, no charging burden). I had hopes for a workaround.
I used the toslink jack on the TV plus a DAC converter to send all sound to the wired headphone, but then I found that there was for this arrangement no volume control at all using the TV remote. This makes some sense in hindsight because in theory the volume control needs to be on the external device, whether that is a headphone or some other speaker. I find that the volume controls on headphones just lack the ease of use of the TV remote, and I do not want to go there.
What I am not clear on still is whether my experience with this new LG would be repeated on most or all other TV brands. Or, perhaps the LG is set up in a certain way, whereas some other major brands are not. [I already returned the LG.]
I may have to cling to my aging TVs as long as possible, and hope against hope that the 3.5 mm jack returns to some high quality TVs, or that a solid workaround appears. Or maybe there is a good workaround already, and I just do not know about it?

Last edited:
The connection will vanish in modern TVs, but is still available in some.
It´s an analogue tech which isn´t needed anymore

what you seek is a TV with a 3.5" connection or a bluetooth device to connect your headphones to, which will allow you to control the volume by the TV remote.

Jun 29, 2023
Right, except for "isn't needed anymore". Analogy: Some people prefer knobs on car dashboards, even though a car screen can in principle contain all car controls. Mostly new is better, but there are many exceptions to that rule. Perhaps a fair number of people would rather put up with a headphone wire across the floor than the nonstop nuisance of frequently recharging and a comparatively heavier and cumbersome Bluetooth headphone (which also I have). Does anybody know of a major TV brand that retains the 3.5 mm jack, or a good workaround on using wired headphones on TVs without this jack?

Fox Tread3

Great
Jun 19, 2023
It seems to me that many of the questions I see in Tom's forums can be answered with a couple of Google searches. For example, the following search could be of help if phrased in a number of different ways. "List of TVs with 3.5 mm jacks." Of course search queries have to be concise for the AI to understand the question. It may require a little time to do a number of searches, but it is better than waiting hours or days for someone, who may or may not have the correct information. To post a reply in the forums.

Jun 29, 2023
Thanks. I think you are much better at google searches than most people. I tried searching but had not preceded my search terms with the word "List". I suppose I do not speak google very well.
I did turn up a TCL 32" Roku TV with 3.5 mm port, but it has never been clear to mean how restrictive it is to buy a TV with a brand in its name, Roku or Google or whatever.
On the WebOS TV I bought and returned as mentioned above, I never went on the internet because a Roku stick is for me sufficient and safer. But if I ever did want to use browser TV, I would not want my TV to limit my viewing because it is pre-branded.

Fox Tread3

Great
Jun 19, 2023
Thanks. I think you are much better at google searches than most people. I tried searching but had not preceded my search terms with the word "List". I suppose I do not speak google very well.
I did turn up a TCL 32" Roku TV with 3.5 mm port, but it has never been clear to mean how restrictive it is to buy a TV with a brand in its name, Roku or Google or whatever.
On the WebOS TV I bought and returned as mentioned above, I never went on the internet because a Roku stick is for me sufficient and safer. But if I ever did want to use browser TV, I would not want my TV to limit my viewing because it is pre-branded.
I'm glad you had some success in doing a Google search. I have been somewhat frustrated from time to time trying to figure out a way to get the AI to understand my question or my general search. As far as branded TVs goes. My only experience is with mainstream TV companies like LG and Samsung. The only limitations I have experienced with my TVs and computer internet connection. Depends on the Service providers I subscribe to. For example, my LG could care less whether I subscribe to Comcast or AT&T to view the TV Network Streaming service or for Internet connection I use. Peoples' needs and preferences are often quite specific to them, and general solutions may not work for them. I have one last suggestion which is to go online and visit the different TV manufacturers' websites and browse their inventory of their various model TVs. You may find it helpful to contact them via email or phone, to ask questions about their products. In any event, I hope you find what you need. As us Star Trek fans say.. "Live long and prosper! 🖖"😊