Question How to extend Internal memory on an Android 9 TV ?

May 18, 2021
Hi! I have a JVC branded Android9 TV (43LT series). It comes with 16GB of internal memory of which Android etc takes up 8GB. I use the TV for iptv via the Tivimate app. I'd like to have a folder for my recordings. To augment the internal memory I have a high capacity USB attached. I am able to add the external memory via SETTINGS > DEVICE PREFERENCES > STORAGE.
And it shows up as secondary storage. Using a file manager app I can see the removable/external storage but I can not create a folder on it, I get either an android message or a warning that i can not write to the device. Since I dont have root/superUser access I cant seem to make use of the device as the primary recording location.

Some articles / youtubes indicate it is possible to 'merge' the internal and external memory , in effect expanding the internal storage with the external. I've seen this work on a Skyworth Android9 TV.

When I try to follow those articles it never seems to work on the JVC AndroidTV.. I cant see a menu option to migrate an app off the internal storage onto the secondary storage (I suspect since there is no write access).

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Contacting the vendor has been fruitless. Thx in advance!

Last edited:
If this is possible, you would have instructions in the manual or on JVC support site. Can you record to that USB stick without making a folder? Or make the folder using a computer. Or try a different file system for the USB stick. Also check to make sure the size of the stick is within supported limits of the TV.

May 18, 2021
If this is possible, you would have instructions in the manual or on JVC support site. Can you record to that USB stick without making a folder? Or make the folder using a computer. Or try a different file system for the USB stick. Also check to make sure the size of the stick is within supported limits of the TV.
no I can not record onto the USB, when in Tivimate I can select the drive but when it trie dto open a writable handle it fails