I need help i have dvi to hdmi for a firestick no sound what do i need to do?

Solution
Wait. You have a firestick which uses an HDMI plug to go into your TV. But your TV doesn't have an HDMI port, but a DVI port? So you bought an HDMI to DVI adapter to fit the firestick into your TV? DVI doesn't carry audio. And I don't think the firestick has an audio out. What you need is a TV that has HDMI on the back. Or if such a thing is made, an HDMI to DVI adapter that pulls the audio out of the HDMI and sends it to an normal audio out plug. Either optical or some other normal output. DVI doesn't carry audio so it's not going to work.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Wait. You have a firestick which uses an HDMI plug to go into your TV. But your TV doesn't have an HDMI port, but a DVI port? So you bought an HDMI to DVI adapter to fit the firestick into your TV? DVI doesn't carry audio. And I don't think the firestick has an audio out. What you need is a TV that has HDMI on the back. Or if such a thing is made, an HDMI to DVI adapter that pulls the audio out of the HDMI and sends it to an normal audio out plug. Either optical or some other normal output. DVI doesn't carry audio so it's not going to work.

Solution

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
So they do make such a thing. Sweet. Thanks for letting me know. OP, if I was right and you are trying to use a firestick on a TV/monitor with DVI only, the above linked adapter should let you do it. Plug the firestick into the HDMI port, and then you'll have to plug the audio out into a stereo or amplifier of some sort. That should get you up and going.