I own a Steam Deck OLED and the MSI Claw has me worried — here's why

Jan 15, 2024
This is a fluff piece. How this should read: I only ever owned a steam deck and have no idea how the Ally works (it's the same)
Exactly. I created an account just to comment and say the same thing. The only reason why the steam deck has more market share, is its earlier arrival and the fact that it's on steam for purchase, so I guaranteed a lot of people just aren't aware of the other options.

The ROG Ally and Legion Go beat the Deck in every regard minus the OLED version's screen and that's minor. You're getting more power, more features, and a full Windows 11 operating system with the other devices.

You could probably put SteamOS on those other devices if you really wanted to.

Reactions: droideka75
Jan 15, 2024
Exactly. I created an account just to comment and say the same thing. The only reason why the steam deck has more market share, is its earlier arrival and the fact that it's on steam for purchase, so I guaranteed a lot of people just aren't aware of the other options.

The ROG Ally and Legion Go beat the Deck in every regard minus the OLED version's screen and that's minor. You're getting more power, more features, and a full Windows 11 operating system with the other devices.

Agree with both posts above. Author seems to be an SD fanboy or is uninformed. The claw is basically an Ally clone and doesn’t do anything new or different except for using Intel.

Jan 15, 2024
Having seen how Meteor Lake could win against AMD's counterpart, you won't have to worry. It still is a power sucker. Yes it can beat Z1 Extreme let alone Aerith, but to be able to do that it needs like 30W or something. Aerith will still beat it at lower power profiles, which is where Steam Deck OLED is a master at. Heck, even Steam Deck LCD still beats everybody else.

Jan 15, 2024
Having seen how Meteor Lake could win against AMD's counterpart, you won't have to worry. It still is a power sucker. Yes it can beat Z1 Extreme let alone Aerith, but to be able to do that it needs like 30W or something. Aerith will still beat it at lower power profiles, which is where Steam Deck OLED is a master at. Heck, even Steam Deck LCD still beats everybody else.
I’d still sacrifice battery life for a more powerful machine, just my personal preference. If you wanna play longer sessions on older hardware, sure SD works great.

Jan 15, 2024
I’d still sacrifice battery life for a more powerful machine, just my personal preference. If you wanna play longer sessions on older hardware, sure SD works great.
Very well, your preference is yours, but I'm referring to the worry in the title, which is not something most people should be, as the majority prefer a longer session instead.

Aug 16, 2023
Very well, your preference is yours, but I'm referring to the worry in the title, which is not something most people should be, as the majority prefer a longer session instead.
Yes until the SD chokes... And you need to go through loops and hoops to get Xbox game pass on it. That's why this article makes no sense. Why would a claw go against the SD? It will not have better battery, not with Intel. So why worry about it? And there's already a pretty similar device in the market, the Ally. (And Llgo)

If anything this is going to challenge those devices not the SD. That decision was made by consumers a long time ago: windows 11 and power? Ally, llgo or claw Battery, steamos but worse general performance? SD

They don't even overlap that much tbh. This piece should be written from an ally or llgo owner perspective. SD owners perspective is irrelevant. When a device that directly competes with the SD comes out you'll know.

JACrazy

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2016

Many devices beat out the Deck in specs, but there's many that have bought both and ended up going back to the Deck. People love having a touchpad, which the Ally has none and the Legion only has one. Imo at least one touchpad is a must, the dual touchpad is unnecessary mostly, but some game mappings meant for KBM make good use of the left trackpad as a radial dial to give it those extra few button mappings that a controller cant give. Ive heard many say that the Legion GO just isnt comfy to hold which is why they go back to the Deck, the Ally is supposedly fairly comfy. For many others though, they just love the simplicity of the SteamOS.

I would love to see the day though that a Windows handheld can compete in all the parts, the lack of a touchpad would be the main reason why Ive seen many dismiss this one immediately.

Jan 20, 2024
If/when Valve gets around to making Steam Deck 2, I really hope the device is treated to a form of tech like DLSS.
I'm confused by this sentence. The steam deck has built-in FSR (compatible with all GPUs) which is doing essentially the same thing as DLSS (only compatible with Nvidia).

Plus, devs that build FSR2.0 or 3.0 into their games, that can be used by the deck instead of the built-in feature. Is the author unaware of FSR? I don't get it.

Last edited: