I played Final Fantasy VII Rebirth after Elden Ring and it was a huge mistake

Herkfixer

Estimable
Sep 11, 2020
This is a terrible take on the modern RPG open world design as offered in Rebirth. You can turn off your mini map and just don't open your main map if you don't want to see all the icons.

That aside, you did exactly what they designed the game to do, you skipped the stuff you didn't want to do and focused on the things you did want to do. That should have been your first paragraph and ended the article there. Stop trying to compare games that are intended for different audiences.

You don't have to do all the "runtime filler" as you put it. It's there for those of us who enjoy spending time in this world and gives us more to do. You don't want to, then don't. I always hate when I love a game world but complete everything and there is nothing left to do.

Those things they put in that are "filler" are there for me, not you. Skip them and move on. They don't need to cater the entire game to you but they ensured there was enough of what everyone else might want without forcing you into it.

Mar 2, 2024
This is a terrible take on the modern RPG open world design as offered in Rebirth. You can turn off your mini map and just don't open your main map if you don't want to see all the icons.

That aside, you did exactly what they designed the game to do, you skipped the stuff you didn't want to do and focused on the things you did want to do. That should have been your first paragraph and ended the article there. Stop trying to compare games that are intended for different audiences.

You don't have to do all the "runtime filler" as you put it. It's there for those of us who enjoy spending time in this world and gives us more to do. You don't want to, then don't. I always hate when I love a game world but complete everything and there is nothing left to do.

Those things they put in that are "filler" are there for me, not you. Skip them and move on. They don't need to cater the entire game to you but they ensured there was enough of what everyone else might want without forcing you into it.
No I think admin's point, while not perfect, is valid. Before I criticize, I'm enjoying FF7 rebirth so far and I haven't finished so my viewpoint could change. And it's a fair point saying that you can change the mini map but I think what admin's really getting at is that the "filler" content is more engaging in Elden ring than it is in FF7 rebirth. For a variety of reasons. Elden ring's world feels much more alive. It's visually unique and the combat itself is more engaging from an action perspective. In FF7 rebirth, I don't think the weather or time of day has changed once for me (in the open world). It looks nice... but it feels kind of bland to me so far. Not a living and breathing world. The world design isn't bad, but it can definitely be alot better and there are games that have done it better. It's not necessarily a world you want to get lost in relatively speaking.

The "repetitive filler" portions in Elden ring are more varied (caves are an example). Because the game is more action focused (no pausing or RPG combat mechanics), the gameplay design is focused on varying enemy attacks and enemy design to keep the gameplay fresh. For "filler content" in FF7 rebirth, you know what's going to happen before you even do it mostly. They really are like tasks that you check off. And the combat is not as varied as it could be. Combat starts, you assess, the game tells you what to do, you do said things. Party builds matter beforehand but that doesn't really affect the "filler content" that much.

Yes you can skip the "filler" of course but, if you're skipping parts of the game, it's likely because you believe it's not fun. If the game has things in the game that isn't fun, it's fair game to criticize that content as something that makes the game worse or as something that can be improved to make the game better. Imagine if FF7 rebirth didn't have repetitive tasks as filler content. I think it would be a better game than it is today. Plus they did sell FF7 rebirth as a more open world experience so I do think some comparison to the gold standard of open world (elden ring or Zelda) makes sense as long as it's within reason.

It's worth pointing out, as you did, that FF7 rebirth is trying to accomplish something different than Elden ring was going for. Elden ring has no main story (at least like FF7) and it has no minigames. It has other things to offer that Elden ring doesn't. However, I'll see how the story finishes. I was not a fan with how the first one finished so hopefully they deliver on that front this time around. Minigames are good so far though.

Mar 4, 2024
This whole article is trash based on a false premise. Elden Ring absolutely has map markers. Boot it up right now and tell me it doesn't.