I put the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra vs iPhone 15 Pro Max through a 7-round face-off — here’s the winner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2024
The anti reflective screen on the s24u alone would make it a draw in my book. It's also a well known fact you need adaptive brightness on and a bright light(the sun) hitting the ambient light sensor for it to reach peak brightness. To test it in the lab you can use a bright flashlight.

The cameras should also be at least a draw considering the extra functionality it has over the iPhone. 8k30, 4k120, 1080p@960 slowmo, 100x zoom, 200mp, better zoom quality from 3x to 4.9x. Probably missing a few things still but the point has been made.

Last edited:
Reactions: JacksonCampbell
Jan 26, 2024
Samsung and Apple's top phones battled it out to be crowned champion, and in the end one phone barely ekes out a win. We'll take you through the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra vs iPhone 15 Pro Max contest blow-by-blow here.

I put the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra vs iPhone 15 Pro Max through a 7-round face-off — here’s the winner : Read more
As someone who has been a fan of Tom's guide for a long time I found this comparison to be extremely disappointing. Both phones have great displays but I was shocked that you crowned the IPhone the winner. Not only did you use incorrect information regarding the max brightness but even after learning you were incorrect you still have yet to change it. You downplay every area the samsung is superior like the higher resolution and emphasize the areas the iphone is superior like the color accuracy. You barely mention the size of the cutouts which are a way bigger factor than the minute differences in color accuracy. The S24 ultra's display is larger, has a higher peak brightness and resolution, less reflective glare, a higher colour gamut and doesn't have a massive black cutout in the middle of its display . On top of that the squared off edges and wider aspect ratio are considerably better for watching videos. The 24 ultra outperforms the 15 pro max in every area except color accuracy but somehow you chose the 15 as having the better display. There is clearly a bias towards IPhone as an impartial reviewer would not come to these conclusions.

shurli

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Totally unfair and biased comparison
Display especially Apples Dynamic Island is an obstruction which the reviwer clearly forgot. I used to give credibility to TG but seems like this specific tech review is done by someone who is locked in Apple's eco system.

Smartphones are just not camera devices. Get a mirrorless camera to have the best experience also the price of iPhone is only cheaper in the USA, wehreas, its 50% more expensive than an s24 ultra in Asia (thats more than half of the worlds population)

Comparing camera is not what a smartphone is about. Productivity tasks are part of Smartphones and the addition of AI features in s24 are unmatched, again not to mention the display which is inferior to s24 ultra.

Either this review is paid or biased but TG lost tech review credibility around smartphones after this article.

Jan 25, 2024
Totally unfair and biased comparison
Display especially Apples Dynamic Island is an obstruction which the reviwer clearly forgot. I used to give credibility to TG but seems like this specific tech review is done by someone who is locked in Apple's eco system.

Smartphones are just not camera devices. Get a mirrorless camera to have the best experience also the price of iPhone is only cheaper in the USA, wehreas, its 50% more expensive than an s24 ultra in Asia (thats more than half of the worlds population)

Comparing camera is not what a smartphone is about. Productivity tasks are part of Smartphones and the addition of AI features in s24 are unmatched, again not to mention the display which is inferior to s24 ultra.

Either this review is paid or biased but TG lost tech review credibility around smartphones after this article.
I've seen a video of the s24u going toe to toe with a $5000 usd camera. It tied it most of the time. Cameras are one of the most important factors for any phone.