I ran with the Apple Watch 9 and Google Pixel Watch 2 — and the results surprised me

Nov 12, 2023
I'm surprised you didn't mention the huge difference in calorie burn estimates. I have a pixel watch and it's calorie counting is just ridiculous. If I walk the same route that I usually run it says I've burned about 3x as many calories. If I use the elliptical trainer on super high resistance or low resistance it makes no difference to calories even though my heart rate shows I'm doing more work.

Nov 13, 2023
It is interesting that the author states the difference between the distances is not noteworthy but the difference in pace is significant without realizing the pace is just a function of time divided by distance which both have calculated properly based on reported distance - similar for the calorie estimate but this is a bit more complex. To evaluate, there are much better ways including repeated runs to build on error that will be present with any measuring device - sometimes higher sometimes lower. Diving into the pace and heart rate training functionality could have been nice, there is so much to talk about.