I test headphones for a living — and these are the most underrated earbuds

Feb 12, 2023
I'm confused... At the start of the article (paragraph 3) you say that the CX Plus doesn't have ANC but then towards the end of the interview you state that the ANC is very effective. Which is correct?

Feb 13, 2023
I'm also confused...
'AptX Adaptive codec support gives Bluetooth streaming quality a significant boost, especially on Android devices. Bitrate speeds were faster when playing Tidal tracks over Wi-Fi on my Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G' - I thought that phone (and most recent Samsung phones) only supports basic AptX and not Adaptive?

Feb 13, 2023
I'm confused... At the start of the article (paragraph 3) you say that the CX Plus doesn't have ANC but then towards the end of the interview you state that the ANC is very effective. Which is correct?
Has the article been corrected now (I can't see where it says it doesn't have ANC)?

sonicmustard

Prominent
Mar 9, 2022
Has the article been corrected now (I can't see where it says it doesn't have ANC)?
You're quite right, the Samsung phone doesn't support aptX Adaptive. Apologies for the confusion. This has now been edited to make it clear.
Additionally, the CX Plus earbuds do have ANC. The Amazon deal block added to the opinion article has now been corrected. Again, apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShinyAds

sonicmustard

Prominent
Mar 9, 2022
The CX Plus earbuds do have ANC. An incorrect deal block was added to the opinion article but has now been corrected. Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023
You're quite right, the Samsung phone doesn't support aptX Adaptive. Apologies for the confusion. This has now been edited to make it clear.
Sorry but I'm still confused! I don't understand the relevance of streaming on Tidal - I know Tidal usually encodes at a higher bitrate than, say, YT Music, but the higher bitrate would be the same for any earbud.

In other words, if the CX Plus are using Bluetooth and connecting via vanilla aptX, won't the bitrate be the same as any other buds connected using Bluetooth via vanilla aptX (and worse than those connected using LDAC)?

sonicmustard

Prominent
Mar 9, 2022
You are 100% correct. The reference the writer made to Tidal has now been removed from the article.

As an aside, there are some audio benefits to be had by starting out with a higher bitrate from a lossless streaming service such as Apple or Tidal. Try streaming Hans Zimmer's "Time" on both Spotify and then the lossless version from Apple Music (or Tidal), and hear the difference. I am perhaps going off topic here, but you should be able to hear the sound quality step up with the lossless version, even over the bitrate-strangling Bluetooth wireless connectivity between the playback device and earbuds.

Feb 13, 2023
You are 100% correct. The reference the writer made to Tidal has now been removed from the article.

As an aside, there are some audio benefits to be had by starting out with a higher bitrate from a lossless streaming service such as Apple or Tidal. Try streaming Hans Zimmer's "Time" on both Spotify and then the lossless version from Apple Music (or Tidal), and hear the difference. I am perhaps going off topic here, but you should be able to hear the sound quality step up with the lossless version, even over the bitrate-strangling Bluetooth wireless connectivity between the playback device and earbuds.
Thanks for the edit.

You were not going off topic, as I had already made the point in my previous reply that Tidal encode in a higher bitrate that some of their competitors. Maybe that information will be of use to someone who was unaware of this.

Reactions: sonicmustard
Apr 4, 2023
I'm confused. The title of the article suggests these are the most overrated tws headphones but they are in fact some of the most painfully average tws headphones available. Even at the discount mentioned in the article there are plenty of objectively better tws headphones and not just in terms of sound quality! At least now I'll know not to trust this authors opinion in the future!