Solved! I think about updating the processor of my laptop, which processor do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2021
what processor I recommend? my laptop is a lenovo thinkpad l412, has an rPGA 989 socket and has an HM55 chipset, now has an i5 520M

Solution
what processor I recommend? my laptop is a lenovo thinkpad l412, has an rPGA 989 socket and has an HM55 chipset, now has an i5 520M
For that laptop, socket, and current CPU....None.

That is a 12 year old platform.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-core-i5520m-processor-3m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

Any CPU that you might make work on that would be a minimal change in performance.

In addition, laptops are notoriously difficult to upgrade.
While your i5 520M may be a PGA socket (but maybe BGA), the over all cooling situation in a laptop is NOT conducive to changing what is in there already.
I can't speak to your exact question, but as an EE I can suggest questions you need to resolve. There are three main issues you need to consider:
  1. Is the replacement processor electrically compatible with the current processor. This includes pin definitions and expectations for external device (chipset) compatibility.
  2. If the new process requires more power (likely the case) is the power supply in the laptop up to the task?
  3. If the new processor requires more power, it will generate more heat. Is the existing cooling system adequate?
These questions are difficult to answer. Personally, I wouldn't try. There are other system components such as RAM and the chipset that may be limiting. If you want to try, fine, but realize the risks. Make sure you have the service manual for you laptop and pay attention to ESD precautions if you proceed.

USAFRet

Illustrious
For that laptop, socket, and current CPU....None.

That is a 12 year old platform.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-core-i5520m-processor-3m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

Any CPU that you might make work on that would be a minimal change in performance.

In addition, laptops are notoriously difficult to upgrade.
While your i5 520M may be a PGA socket (but maybe BGA), the over all cooling situation in a laptop is NOT conducive to changing what is in there already.

Solution
Nov 13, 2021
I can't speak to your exact question, but as an EE I can suggest questions you need to resolve. There are three main issues you need to consider:
  1. Is the replacement processor electrically compatible with the current processor. This includes pin definitions and expectations for external device (chipset) compatibility.
  2. If the new process requires more power (likely the case) is the power supply in the laptop up to the task?
  3. If the new processor requires more power, it will generate more heat. Is the existing cooling system adequate?
These questions are difficult to answer. Personally, I wouldn't try. There are other system components such as RAM and the chipset that may be limiting. If you want to try, fine, but realize the risks. Make sure you have the service manual for you laptop and pay attention to ESD precautions if you proceed.
I was thinking of changing it for i7 940XM, according to look it has the same socket, what I worry about is that it is compatible by bios or chipset and that this processor does not have integrated graphics I found interesting for the cores and threads that has 4 cores and 8 threads, or if not a less powerful one in frequency

Nov 13, 2021
Para esa computadora portátil, zócalo y CPU actual.... Ninguno.

Esa es una plataforma de 12 años de antigüedad.

Cualquier CPU en la que pueda hacer trabajar eso sería un cambio mínimo en el rendimiento.

Además, las computadoras portátiles son notoriamente difíciles de actualizar.
Si bien su i5 520M puede ser un zócalo PGA (pero tal vez BGA), la situación general de enfriamiento en una computadora portátil NO es propicia para cambiar lo que ya está allí.
[/CITA]
debido a que compruebo y el procesador no está soldado y se puede quitar, planeo poner un i7-840QM o el i7 940XM, lo que me presoda es que sea compatible se supone que por socket no debería haber ningún problema porque son los mismos, el problema es si es compatible por chipset, bios y luego estos no tienen gráficos integrados

gracias quiero decir en pocas palabras mejor compro un pc nuevo, uno que me recomiendes para la edición de audio?programas multipista como reaper, tengo un ordenador de sobremesa muy bueno pero también necesitaba un portátil que funcionara bien

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 13, 2021
Hi there ,
well it depend on which type of activity you do on your laptop. Well if you are a gamer, programmer or a designer.

Then this are some of the best processor:
Gaming and Programming : Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7, AMD Ryzen 5, AMD Ryzen 7
Designing : Intel Core i7, Intel Core i9, AMD Ryzen 7

well this are some of the best processor fot the follwoing purpose.
If use your laptop for other purpose let me know.
it's like for audio and video editing (not so heavy), I don't want the best laptop on the market because I only need it for occasions when I can't use my desktop pc

mrmike16

Honorable
gracias quiero decir en pocas palabras mejor compro un pc nuevo, uno que me recomiendes para la edición de audio?programas multipista como reaper, tengo un ordenador de sobremesa muy bueno pero también necesitaba un portátil que funcionara bien
I agree that your CPU should not be upgraded if you want your current laptop to survive.

Honestly, for audio editing I think an Intel i5 CPU or AMD Ryzen 5000 Series would be up to the task. The i7 is for more intensive tasks like video editing. Graphics you don't need to worry much about as long as you're not a heavy gamer or graphics designer, so an integrated GPU should be fine. RAM should be 16GB (It bothers me that most i5 PCs are sold with 8GB of soldered RAM), and storage is up to you- but of course it should be with a solid state drive.

So, luckily for you, other than market changes by the pandemic, you won't need to spend too much. It depends on your budget.

Here is an example - Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop | Dell USA

frej008

BANNED
Nov 19, 2021
Hello, if you want to play games, it's best to have some ryzena he is perfect for everything you can buy yourself some 5 ryzena he is not expensive but you have to adjust all this to your socet and buy 16 gb ram and it will be very good for you to have some intel i7 but you have to change socet unfortunately

mrmike16

Honorable
Hello, if you want to play games, it's best to have some ryzena he is perfect for everything you can buy yourself some 5 ryzena he is not expensive but you have to adjust all this to your socet and buy 16 gb ram and it will be very good for you to have some intel i7 but you have to change socet unfortunately
If I didn't know better, I would have thought that ryzena 5 is some kind of drink...
Anyway, the poster's laptop is not compatible with a Ryzen 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.