Solved! I think I accidentally fried my laptop

THE RONIN

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
hi !

today I just wanted to reuse one of my old laptops by installing a new drive in it and running Linux. so I just popped the back panel and accidentally touched a component with my finger while trying to dust it off. this happened while the battery was still in the computer. The battery is dead and I didn't think it would have a charge. after adding the newHDD I tried to run my computer and it din't display anything on the screen. I thought it was the RAM not being correctly place but I have just been using it before and it was working fine.

The component I touched was a chip with an uncovered die it is the chip next to the RAM slots in the picture below. The chip is very open and is accessible directly with the ram and wifi card so it shouldn't be that crucial and unprotected right ? I really don't know what to do. my pc is an Asus K55VD

Note : I did open the PC and pop and put back the small battery as I know it can be used to reset something.

Fully-Tested-Motherboard-For-Asus-K55VD-Laptop-with-GT610M-2GB-graphics-HM76-chipset-PGA989-socket-DDR3.jpg

Solution
remove the new drive again, undo any changes, try powering on again

there is always a risk of electrostatic discharge if you aren´t grounded while touching electronics. But I don´t think that´s the problem here.

THE RONIN

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
I did that, I put back the drive and ram in the exact order so a 4G one on the bottom and a 2G one on the top, it still doesn't display anything, is it something related to bios ?

THE RONIN

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks a lot helpstar. it was a dead memory module, it is weird that it would die in an instant. maybe I touched that module and fried it. when I let the pc work for a while, that module got so hot so I kinda knew it was bad. I removed it and it worked.

thankfully I have more modules from other computers that I swapped. Thanks again.

Reactions: helpstar

TRENDING THREADS