I think I need a new laptop.......???

galacticda

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Well the notebook I am currently using is a 2008 macbook unibody with 8GB of ram and a samsung 250GB SSD. I decided that after it starting freezing during Skype calls and gifs loading on Imgur that it might be time for a new laptop. I currently ended my first semester of college as an electrical engineer and find my self using my laptop a lot. I want something new but I don't mind waiting until the summer if it is REALLY worth it.

My budget is up to $2,800, I need something portable, with a long battery life (5+) under a normal load.

I was looking at the 15" retina MBP (2014) with a 750M GPU since I'm a bit of a light gamer but that is a bit at the extreme end of my budget. Also 15" might be too big for portability. It does have a long battery and it is pretty light.

I don't want a 13" MBP because they look like a waste of money compared to what I found on SAGER.

I decided to look into SAGER laptops because they give a pretty high bang for your buck and found the NP7338
Sager Custom Laptops
I can upgrade it to some pretty high specs but I don't know much about its battery life. In addition I'm pretty addicted to the Expose features on OSX and don't know how clunky windows with a traditional trackpad will be on my productivity, Hakentosh seems like a temporary alternative maybe.

Also the NP8652 looks nice
Sager Custom Laptops
But it is a bit even more bulky and gaming oriented then then the 15" RMBP and 4k (If I get it) is not really that nice on windows yet. Also battery life might be nonexistent on this one.

All I really want to know is, is the 15" rMBP really that bulky? And can I get more for my money with SAGER, even after I cant use OSX. I need this laptop for college (electrical engineering) and leisure and it NEEDS TO LAST 4 years (that's why I have a high budget and I'm not going for the lonovo yoga crap or the macbook air) pls hlp?

PS: I do have a gaming rig desktop, I just don't want to have to walk back to my dorm because I find my laptop to be a potato, my college also recommends a dedicated GPU for any engineering.

Anirudh Madhok

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
I suggest the sqger np8652 with the following specs
I7 4720hq
24-32gb Kingston hyperx ddr3 ram
2*256 GB m.2 ssd by crucial for boot in either raid 0 or 1
1tb 7200 rpm hard drive
GTX 980m 4gb
Sharp 4k IZGO PANEL with 60 hz refresh rate
And if there is still money left in your budget a 500gb ssd for aplications