Question I tried to replace my laptop’s battery and turned it into a desktop.

Mar 9, 2019
I have an Acer Aspire E laptop with an internal battery. It’s a few years old, so the battery couldn’t hold much charge anymore, otherwise, I had no problems with it. I bought a new battery off Alibaba and attempted to install it myself after watching a video on it. I kept grounding myself after opening up the case.

After switching the batteries, the laptop could not turn on. When I plug in the AC cord, everything works fine. But without the cable, the laptop doesn’t even turn on. I tried putting the old battery back, which had no problems, and it’s the same issue.

I can tell the laptop, and Windows, can see the battery is there because I can use software to read the battery’s model and capacity. I can do this on both batteries. From within Windows, everything looks fine. It even says the battery is “plugged in, charging”. But the percent charge never changes, and no matter how long I leave it plugged in, as soon as I unplug it, the laptop dies.

So far, I’ve tried uninstalling AC devices from Windows and updating my BIOS. Neither helped. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened or how to fix it?

If you bought an aftermarket battery that is likely your problem.

Most aftermarket batteries are hit or miss in if they will work on a device. Especially a laptop. On top of that some computer companies now make it so that any aftermarket battery won't even work in their devices. Yes, that does happen.

If you bought an aftermarket one I suggest you return it and get an OEM one. If you did already get an OEM one, then try exchanging it as it likely has issues.

Mar 9, 2019
Currently, the laptop has the old, original battery in it. This battery had no problems before I started tinkering with the laptop, but now it has the exact same issues as the new one. I don't think getting a new OEM battery will fix my problems.

As a matter of interest, did that battery come from Poland? I had similar problems a few weeks back when a supposed UK company sold me a replacement battery for her Acer Aspire and it arrived from Poland several days later.

It was the wrong battery and so was the replacement they shipped and so was the third attempt. In the end I cancelled the order and used a better supplier but they were hard to track down.

Mar 9, 2019
My battery was from China. I got it through Alibaba. The battery is the right type, and for all I know, the battery might be working 100%. It might be a motherboard problem, and the batteries work just fine.

I very sceptical about Chinese batteries but I'm sure there is only a minority who supply other countries with self-combusting clones of proper ones.

In Control Panel>Device Manager, uninstall both the Microsoft entries in the Batteries section, Restart the machine and the battery staus may cut in but you did say the machine packs up as soon as you pull the power lead.

I very sceptical about Chinese batteries but I'm sure there is only a minority who supply other countries with self-combusting clones of proper ones.

In Control Panel>Device Manager, uninstall both the Microsoft entries in the Batteries section, Restart the machine and the battery staus may cut in but you did say the machine packs up as soon as you pull the power lead.

In my experience, batteries with cells made in China are often bad. Batteries assembled in China from Cells made in other countries are better. We have several Dell models with battery cells from China, many issues with them, even when they are new batteries. We have Lenovo batteries with cells from Japan that work better even though they are 3 times as old. Not a single battery from our Lenovo models has expanded or fully failed unless it was about 8 years old, Dell batteries have been swelling up or just failing within months. That is the major issues with the cheap battery makers, they use low quality cells with poor materials.