News I used an electric car to drive to my brother’s wedding — and I barely made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2021
I refuse to believe this is a serious article and that a functioning adult has jumped into a small Nissan leaf to push it to its limit without doing any research before hand. 70 mph has never been the most efficient cruising speed for a vehicle whether its petrol, diesel or electric because of physics. You'll never get close to a normal mpg of a petrol/diesel at 70 mph. 60 maybe but most likely 50/55 depending on the gearing - electrics have the benefit of not suffering other losses at low speeds so they're super efficient at low speeds and stop start traffic etc. But none of this is new information and readily available to anyone reviewing, I'm sure you were already aware of the drawbacks and benefits of EVs and you're playing dumb for the clicks

Apr 11, 2021
I agree with @Mixer Fixit that this can't be serious and smells of click-bait. I feel like this is a story that should've been told to few friends and family... not popping up in my news feed... 🤦‍♂️

Apr 11, 2021
So you bought and electric car without knowing its range ia affected at speeds and in cold climates? IDK man, the car works as intended, you need better planning

Fruban

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
I feel like this article applied way too many lessons to all EVs based on the specific limitations of this vehicle on a trip like this. Of course you're going to have range anxiety if you don't plan well or use a vehicle with a proper range for long trips. That Leaf's range is quite limited compared to other options nowadays.

Side note: when I do highway driving with my '19 Kia Niro EV, most often 70-75mph (sometimes more) my range has never tanked below the minimum expected range. On long trips I've always managed to meet or slightly exceed the expected range I end up with, without trying even if it's cold. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021
And that is why you buy a Tesla! Nissan Leaf is a fantastic EV but for city use only. I know, I have owned one. Going on a long trip? Get either a gas car or a Tesla that can give you a true, highway, couple hundred miles of range with a 30 minute charge.

Apr 12, 2021
That sounds more like a driver problem than an EV problem.

I took a 2,500 mile (round trip) road trip last summer in my EV and had no range anxiety. I used A Better Route Plan to plan the trip and it evaluated the speed, topography, and preferences (how much over the speed limit I drive, how much battery I want left when I get to a station, etc) and I got to every station with slightly more charge than expected after driving 77 mph in my Kia Niro EV. It was a fantastic trip and never did I have a concern about whether I would make it. If you take just the minimal time to plan (less than 2 minutes in my experience) you’ll know what to expect and you won’t have issues.

Taking a 1,500 mile trip next month and still have zero concerns.

mickrussom

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
people are getting dumber - its like idiocracy is coming true - but instead of taking 500 years as in the movie its taking a mere 50 to get there. who the heck trust anything nissan does, says or indicates anymore - their ceo was a fraud (carlos ghosn) and is a fugitive in japan - that company has been gutted for many years - its a burned out husk - and it makes garbage products.

why on earth would anyone choose to stretch an e.v. to the limits while trying to get to a wedding? and who would budget something that tight? i'd show up a few hours early, not leave an extra 15 minutes.

this special brand of stupid gets platformed and has good s.e.o. - what has the world come to.

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

M17

Prominent
Apr 11, 2021
Exactly why I went with a plug-in hybrid. I love my Volt and got a great deal on a certified pre owned with extended warranty that's already paid for itself. My daily commute I'm all electric but if something comes up or I just need to go further I have a gas backup. There are not enough convenient charging locations yet to go full electric and I dont like the idea of planning my trip around charging stations.

Tom Pritchard

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
And that is why you buy a Tesla! Nissan Leaf is a fantastic EV but for city use only. I know, I have owned one. Going on a long trip? Get either a gas car or a Tesla that can give you a true, highway, couple hundred miles of range with a 30 minute charge.
If I could afford a Tesla, I wouldn't have a Leaf. At the very least I wouldn't have the entry level model

janoleolsen

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
"no matter what the speed limit, and the impatient drivers behind me, might think."

This view is shared by most Nissan drivers in Europe...maybe not by all BMW drivers...

Tom Pritchard

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I refuse to believe this is a serious article and that a functioning adult has jumped into a small Nissan leaf to push it to its limit without doing any research before hand. 70 mph has never been the most efficient cruising speed for a vehicle whether its petrol, diesel or electric because of physics. You'll never get close to a normal mpg of a petrol/diesel at 70 mph. 60 maybe but most likely 50/55 depending on the gearing - electrics have the benefit of not suffering other losses at low speeds so they're super efficient at low speeds and stop start traffic etc. But none of this is new information and readily available to anyone reviewing, I'm sure you were already aware of the drawbacks and benefits of EVs and you're playing dumb for the clicks

The goal of this trip wasn't just to get to my brother's wedding. It was so I could personally experience what the Leaf can do long distance. There's only so much of that you can work out on a test drive, or driving within 10 miles of home.

That's also why I left far too early, because I wasn't entirely sure whether the car would get me where I needed to go without charging along the way. It couldn't, and that's one of the things that needs to be made more apparent when it comes to EV ownership. Plus it's always important to get the pros and cons of mid-route charging into words. Because the manufacturer sure isn't going to make that obvious before you buy

Apr 15, 2021
I don't see exactly what is the problem, i have a Nissan leaf from 2011 its now 10 years old and it shows about 60 miles of range on a full charge but I would say its more like 40-45, it still fits to most of my needs and if i drive long then i have to plan it well, if you want the best range forget using your heater. Also i would never buy a Nissan leaf again because it does not have thermal management, so when the battery gets really warm it often losses power because of it as well as degrades the battery much faster than if it was cooled. But if i can survive fine,(which i have for the last 4 years) on 40-45 miles then i think i would be on the moon with 100, regardless, electric cars always need good planning for long trips.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021
If I could afford a Tesla, I wouldn't have a Leaf. At the very least I wouldn't have the entry level model
That's perfectly understandable. The only problem I found with the article is that you didn't make it clear enough that this reflected the limitations of an entry-level EV. It reads like it's a ubiquitous experience for all EVs when it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.