I used this thermal camera to identify heat loss in my home — here’s what I found

Jan 21, 2023
I just did the same last week. Was pretty nice to see where the pipes were running and stuff like that.
Also did some outdoor footage just to get an overall picture if anything was amiss.
But let me point out that you made a pretty common beginners mistake. Any reflective surface will result in incorrect measurements. As you have seen with your windows (the frames are just fine) they do stand out from the rest with unexpected results.
When looking at your house, you can see that the windows are completely black, almost the same as the sky. That's 'cause the sky is reflected in those windows.

View: https://imgur.com/a/NlOuET4

ac7ss

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
The reason your windows were indicating the same temp as the sky is that FIR is reflected by the windows.
I love my FLIR camera.

Tom Pritchard

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
But let me point out that you made a pretty common beginners mistake. Any reflective surface will result in incorrect measurements. As you have seen with your windows (the frames are just fine) they do stand out from the rest with unexpected results.
When looking at your house, you can see that the windows are completely black, almost the same as the sky. That's 'cause the sky is reflected in those windows.

Now that you say that, t's a wonder I didn't realize that earlier. Such a simple mistake! I may have to go round and take another look round the frames