I want to replace my Apple TV

DocTerryC

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
I have asked this question before, and the responses suggest that people do not understand what I want, so I will try to be more precise.

I use Apple TV and love it -- except for it's limitations (i.e. must be mp4, must be added to iTunes)

Is there a media streaming device which:
1. I can stream my own videos, etc. from my own notebook -- WITHOUT HAVING TO PLAY THE VIDEO on my laptop!
2. I want to be able to use the laptop for other things, while the streaming device streams the video from my laptop to the TV screen.

I suspect there is nothing, but this is my last kick at the cat before I upgrade to the newest Apple TV.

Solution
Just a tip: for the WD Live to correctly work, you need to enable sharing on your PC.

How DLNA works is that folders and files that are shared over the WIFI are accessible through the WD Live and the "Media Server" menu. You don't need to touch your laptop at all once it is setup correctly. You simply open the WD Live, browse the movies/picture using the WD live remote, and play the one of your choice. There's nothing to do on the laptop. (besides sharing those files in the first place)

For a detailed explanation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1m6mv9TmH8

Why so pessimistic? Anything that runs DLNA will be able to stream stuff from your laptop, your TV may already have such thing and u never noticed it, does it have a MEDIA button? Some stand-alone BluRay players are also DLNA capable. If not, I don't have the famous Roku but am almost sure it can. Any TV-side streaming box is gonna "pull" content from your laptop as if were a network file share and that happens in the background so certainly the desktop won't be disturb and free for you to use.

Hello. The things you are asking for is exactly what all streaming devices, such as the Roku, does?

Unless you are really bandwidth starved on your Wifi (too far from the router), streaming by DLNA through a Roku/Blu-ray has next to no effect on your browsing/etc. on your laptop. Of course, it has an effect on the hard drive though, since it needs to read the videos directly from your storage.

If you really want no effect on your laptop...why use a streaming device? Use a media player with a USB flash drive or the likes? Or a NAS?

DocTerryC

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
Thanks for the answers so far. I must admit I have been confused. I purchased a WD Live and a Roku and could only make them work by playing the video on my computer and streaming it to the TV. Of course, when I minimized the video and did something else--the movie stopped displaying on the TV.

My computer is powerful enough, and my router is an AC3200 DLink, so I don't have any technical limitations. It seems like my problem is ME! I either made some wrong assumptions, or didn't understand how to set it up. I returned the Roku, but still have the WD I'll pull it out of storage and give it another try.

Thanks for the prompt and encouraging responses.

Just a tip: for the WD Live to correctly work, you need to enable sharing on your PC.

How DLNA works is that folders and files that are shared over the WIFI are accessible through the WD Live and the "Media Server" menu. You don't need to touch your laptop at all once it is setup correctly. You simply open the WD Live, browse the movies/picture using the WD live remote, and play the one of your choice. There's nothing to do on the laptop. (besides sharing those files in the first place)

For a detailed explanation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1m6mv9TmH8

Solution