Solved! I would like to increase my laptop's ram and upgrade to an SSD. What should I know and check before buying them?

Marishe

Estimable
Apr 20, 2017
Hello.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to doing computer upgrades. I would like to upgrade my laptop's RAM from 8 GB to 20GB. I would also like to get a 240GB SSD.

I only know about the most basic stuff when it comes to computer parts and I'm worried that I might end up getting something that would not fit or work well with my system or won't work at all.

Can you please tell me what I need to check to ensure that the memory stick and SSD I would like to buy will fit or work well with my current system?

The full specs of my laptop can be seen below:

I'm thinking of getting two of these for the RAM and for the SSD. Can you please tell me if they could be a good match or, if you had more time, can you please tell me what advantage or disadvantage one would have over the other?

RAM

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Non-ECC CL17 SODIMM Laptop Memory Ram (Price: USD 70.57 )
Kingston ValueRAM 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4 Non-ECC CL19 SODIMM Laptop Memory Ram (Price USD 70.57)
Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 2666Mhz DDR4 Non-ECC CL19 SODIMM 1Rx8 Laptop Memory RAM (Price: 39.44) - back up option in case the budget gets tighter

SSD
(Should get an internal or external SSD?)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD SATA3 2.5 (SA400S37/240G) (Price: USD 37.26 )
Kingston A400 SSDNow SSD 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - Increase Performance (Price: USD 36.28 )
Western Digital WDS240G2G0A 240GB 2.5 Solid State Drive (Price: USD 36.26)

If it helps, I'm primarily using the laptop for work. I do a lot of online research so I always have plenty of tabs open at the same time (sometimes, multiple browsers too). I also have to leave multiple files open at the same time (I cycle through these files whenever I need to compare documents) every now and then. My primary goal is to help the laptop keep up with these tasks and not slow down to a crawl when things get a bit hectic. I don't really work with sensitive data. The place where I live can heat up to about 35 degree Celsius during hotter days and about 26 to 28 on cooler days.

Solution
for ram, go to crucal.com and run their scan. it will tell you what ram you can use and how much your laptop can handle.

as far as the ssd, if you want faster boot at startup, then you will need to ireplace the current harddrive. If you want to use it as storage only, then external would be fine.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
for ram, go to crucal.com and run their scan. it will tell you what ram you can use and how much your laptop can handle.

as far as the ssd, if you want faster boot at startup, then you will need to ireplace the current harddrive. If you want to use it as storage only, then external would be fine.

Solution