Solved! I would like to learn about motherboard sizes in laptops and can somebody answer few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2021
I noticed how some laptops have huge motherboards and some tiny motherboards, using logic that tiny motherboard should be more expencive I came on a roadblock. There is this atom laptop Medion i got long time ago it croked so i open it to see that motherboard is only 6cm x 8cm (~2.3 x 2.9 inches) . I paid for this 199euro (~220dollar) touchscreen flip 360 device. E2217T model.

1. How is it posible that they made such small motherboard so cheap?
  2. Does smaller motherboard have greater chance of breaking down? duying i mean..
  3. Is it a power consumption thing? Like a motherboard that consumes 2watts can be "this small minimum" and motherboard that consumes 15wats max can be "that small" minimum?
  4. Never seen an i5 small form motherboard in a laptop, and yet almost every pentium silver has small motherboard why?

5) Is it possible to make small affordable motherboard that can soket i5 "ultralow voltage" but also be as reliable as big motherboards?

Solution
size not equal price. it the features and components

5)small, cheap, reliable, and good feature. Nope. Not unless you create your own, then you can sell it as little as you want.
All motherboards in laptops are "small form", they need to be to fit in the case, so yes there are i5 chips in laptop motherboards, and faster.
What you won't see is an i5 CPU in a cheap small laptop due to cost and the fact you need to dissipate heat, which in a laptop is hard enough without using a higher end CPU that generates more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.