i3 4010U versus i5 3230M for Photoshop Laptop

MychaelP

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
OK, it's getting complicated choosing a laptop. I'm looking at the Lenovo Outlet store for my wife's new laptop since I currently have a Thinkpad from there.
There is a budget laptop with an i5 3230M with the 4000 gaphics and then for $40 higher price they have a step up with the touchscreen but it has an i3 4010U 4400 graphics.

So it's 3rd gen i5 versus 4th gen i5.

She uses facebook games, and Photoshop. Also some Dreamweaver here and there.

I see the clock speeds are much lower for the 4th gen of all varieties so I am a bit confused and overwhelmed.
My gut tells me to get the i5 and it's all good as it is with my laptop, but the next gen i3 with better on-board graphics is what makes it a tough decision. Also with Windows 8 she may find the touchscreen useful.
Should I go for it, or wait for a 4th gen i5 at a slightly higher price?
Thanks so much for your input,

Solution
I agree with the previous post. The i3 isn't very powerful I think the fact that it has a touchscreen would not push it over the I5 considering the will both have the same integrated graphics I'm sure. The i5 will be good for Photoshop an browsing and whatnot but the i3 might have trouble with Photoshop. Take the safe route and go with the more powerful processor.

aloof11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
The i5 should give you more performance for photoshop etc, and since your wife will only play browser based games then the 4000 graphics are more than enough. The i3 is newer but it is a low wattage version, meaning that its geared more toward battery life rather then performance, so you can expect to do worse in photoshop, the graphics are better than the i5s 4000 graphics but both are good enough for facebook games

StealthParade

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I agree with the previous post. The i3 isn't very powerful I think the fact that it has a touchscreen would not push it over the I5 considering the will both have the same integrated graphics I'm sure. The i5 will be good for Photoshop an browsing and whatnot but the i3 might have trouble with Photoshop. Take the safe route and go with the more powerful processor.

Solution