i5 4200m vs i7 4700mq

joseph0510

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I am currently buying a laptop that has either an i5 4200m with a 860m or an i7 4700mq with a 765m. Does the i7 and i5 really have that much of a difference in performance? what are the differences?

Solution
Well pretty much none - the i7 will be of benefit when video encoding or doing 3D rendering ie situations where more cores make a difference, as the i7 has hyperthreading.

I would recommend the i5 based system. U want 8Gb RAM, and for gaming the best GPU u can get. I would also recommend getting an SSD rather than a regular HD - this one change will make far more difference than anything else in day to day use

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
What are you using it for? If your gaming, the i7 offers little benefit over the i5 for the majority of games (this has been debated back and forth on Tom's, but basically this is the simplest straight answer)

If you're doing any kind of video or 3D rendering, the i7 will do for better

joseph0510

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

I will be playing buying it for gaming. I will also be watching streams and doing a BIT of photoshop stuff. Will it be possible to know in what kind of aspects the i7 will be better in performance? (loading up applications, multitasking, etc) Thanks for the response btw!

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Well pretty much none - the i7 will be of benefit when video encoding or doing 3D rendering ie situations where more cores make a difference, as the i7 has hyperthreading.

I would recommend the i5 based system. U want 8Gb RAM, and for gaming the best GPU u can get. I would also recommend getting an SSD rather than a regular HD - this one change will make far more difference than anything else in day to day use

Solution